Divider section for printers type trays for inside of frames - guidance please.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Divider section for printers type trays for inside of frames - guidance please.

Post by Not your average framer »

I've got a fairly large number of thin sections of strip wood suitable for prducing dividers for printer type trays, which are quite popular for collecting small items for wall displays. My hope is that I can cut slots part way through these dividers, so that they can be slotted togther as a grid of separate compartments. The only problem being how to fix the grid together, but at the same time to allow the complete grid to be removable from the picture frame to permit access to clean the glass.

I was also considering taping around the outside of the grid of compartments with gummed brown paper tape and hoping that this would make it possible to withdraw the whole grid of compartments out of the reverse of the frame. I am not completely sure that the gummed paper tape would be sufficient by it's self, so maybe some small blobs of PVA glue at each junction of the horizonal and vertical dividers might be required.

I am also wondering what size the spaces inside each compartment would need to be. I am currently thinking about perhaps 35mm square, but in reality I don't have much idea what customers would be expecting and these are merely figures that I have just pluck out of the air, so they don't really mean much at all. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Divider section for printers type trays for inside of frames - guidance please.

Post by Not your average framer »

I am also wondering if anyone has afeel for what I should charge for something like this when finished. The finished printer type trays and frames will probably be about 450mm square and I can make them with, or without glass at the front. The outer frames will be a fairly basic pine moulding, with an antique pine stain and a slightly grubby grey wash, followed with a coat of wax.

I am wondering how boyant the market is likely to be these days. I am thinking that it's probably a bit hard guess these days, but Christmas is not all that far away, so who knows it might not be so bad after all! I don't intend to make these look anything special. Most printers type trays that you see for sale are quite old and grubby looking, I will make mine look like that.

The time, effort and material cost spent making these will be kept to the minimum and in particular this will be in case I can't get such a good price for these. The rear of the compartments will just be a solid brown backing board, which would be in keeping with what is often visible in the old original trays, that you sometimes see in auction, junk shops and antique fairs.

The outer frame will be off cuts of a deep pine box frame moulding, of which I have plenty of scraps and left overs of. I am guessing that the grid of compartments might be something like a grid of 14 x 14 compartments, so maybe 196 compartments per tray.

I'm wondering about maybe £30 each, but will the market stand that much with today's problems?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer