Thinking of making various household items from wood.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thinking of making various household items from wood.

Post by Not your average framer »

I am thinking of making various household items from wood and to display them for sale from my shop windows. My existing thinging is mostly to use pine, and or birch plywood. I'm not really sure what type of wood that customers might be expecting, but at least I know that I can easily obtain supplies for pine and birch plywood. Any opinions please?

I am very well equipped with the necessary woodwork machinery to produce really accurately produced and well finished results, but I'm still trying to wood out what sort of items it might be worth producing. This a completely new venture for me and not something I have any real experience in doing at all.

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Thinking of making various household items from wood.

Post by Not your average framer »

I've been trawling the internet looking for ideas for things to make and come up with making old fashioned Devon apple boxes. I got some wood salved from a Futon bed, which will slice up nicely in to wide enough planks of a suitable thickness. I shall cut them on each side with the bandsaw to get a slightly rough surface on every side and paint some to look a bit grubby and vintage and perhaps a few with some brighter colours as well. The trendy shops always are on the lookout for stuff like that. I rekon that I Stecil them with "Finest Devon Scruppy Apples - The old orchard Bovey Tracey", hopefully that will create a bit of interest. A price label suggesting them as suitable for christmas hamper might help too. I can put them in my shop windows with a phone number to call for me to come down to serve any interested customers.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer