Mitre corners - help!!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
dcowan100
Organisation: Gilded Lily Framing
Interests: Walking, cycling, dogs, DIY

Mitre corners - help!!

Post by dcowan100 »

Hi- looking for advice- I use a mitre saw and then a morso to cut the mitres - blades are sharp and I clean them regularly with a soft cloth. I also use a digital angle finder to make sure the stock and blades are at 45deg.

I check lengths for accuracy.

Then I’ll use mitre bond (2-part) to join 2 ‘L’s’ before underpinning using the alfamachine u200. Then I’ll join the 2 ‘L’s’ on the underpinner.

Problem is I can see daylight- usually much less than 1mm and I can of course fill it with frame putty - but I’d rather not use FP at all. Am I being too unreasonable on myself or am I missing something fundamental?

Any advice please?

Thanks
Dave
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Mitre corners - help!!

Post by Not your average framer »

No you are not being unreasonable, as far as I am thinking frame putty does not add any worthwhile strength to the mitres and also it is added extra labour time to producing the frame. Could the problem have anything to do with the setting of the fence angles on you Morso?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I would try using a wood glue like Titebond instead of Mitre bond which is a type of superglue.
My understanding is that the underpinner wedges are to hold the joint in place whilst the wood glue goes off. I think in your case the mitre bond will set immediately and the wedges will then break the join.
You don't say what wood type you are joining. Are you using the correct wedge type for soft or hard wood timber?
If you are joining Oak or Ash, these can be extremely difficult to join on an underpinner, imho.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

There are some glues that expand as they cure. Polyurethane for one. The stuff you are using might do similar.
These glues are very strong, but need to be firmly clamped. The V-nails in poly moulding don't have the same grip
they have in wood. You may need to clamp the frame in a band clamp after gluing and before pinning - which is a
big faff. I would try different glues as my learned colleagues have suggested. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Can I ask two questions on this? You use a mitre saw and then a morso to cut the mitres. Is there a reason for that?
Second question, on the mitres joined by mitre-bond glue, can you see a gap on those?
I'm making guesses here but 99% of the problems with mitre gaps are down to the cutting.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Sorry, I mean when you first join up the L's before underpinning. I'm presuming the mitre-bond glue is that instant grab stuff.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
dcowan100

Post by dcowan100 »

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Titebond - got
Mitre clamps with deep and wide jaws - on order

I use the compound mitre saw to rough cut to length and then trim on the morso

I’ve checked the morso blade angles with the digital angle finder so I know it’s at 45deg.
dcowan100

Post by dcowan100 »

The trouble could be that the opposite sides may be slightly different length this when the four corners are clamped a small gap is obvious. We’re not talking >0.5mm but it’s enough to need attention after underpinning.

I suppose the follow up question might be how do I make sure I’m getting exact replication of side lengths- I have a ‘right arm extension’ (but not used due to space) on the morso but nothing on the left side.

Further comments and feedback welcome
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Oh dear! That's enough to cause serious problems. I think you may have just explained why this is happening.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
dcowan100

Post by dcowan100 »

Is that the extension on both sides ?
Not your average framer

It is much easier to work with both extensions.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
dcowan100

Post by dcowan100 »

Thanks for your replies everyone- the penny has dropped and I’ve already seen some improvement- closing in on as perfect I can get
Cheers
Not your average framer

It will all become an instinctive thing after a little. There usually a bit of a learning curve when we first get started. Much of the difficult stuff becomes quite easy after a little while.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer