Self Adhesive Board Choice

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Self Adhesive Board Choice

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi All

What is the best permanent self adhesive board to use for fabric (tea towel) bonding? I have used historically Crescent Perfect mount, but is there a Colourmount or other alternative product equal to it?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Self Adhesive Board Choice

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't personally use self adhesive boards to bond to fabric items, but that's just my own preference. However I was train at a gallery company where this was normal practice and they used the permanent self adhesive board from Daler. In fact they used so much of it that they bought it by the palet load and also used it for dry mounting in a heated press at 60 degrees. It worked well enough and the customers were always happy, so I guess it was O.K. As far as I know the better quality self adhesive board from Colourmount is equally good.

From time to time I buy the cheap basic self adhesive board from Simons, which is part of their key range of mountboards and generally use this for mounting up things to sell to the tourists. I like to use this also to stick to the rear of the mount as well and trim off the surplus after running the whole sandwich through my manual roller laminator. This cheaper self adhesive board appears to be using a board with a grey board core, which is not strictly speaking not particularly conservation friendly, although the adhesive layer probably provides some sort of potential barrier.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer