Does anyone have any idea what the usual going rate is for offering a gift wrapping service to customers?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Does anyone have any idea what the usual going rate is for offering a gift wrapping service to customers?

Post by Not your average framer »

I looking into offering a gift wrapping service for people who buy items, which are ready to go from my shop window, but I don't have much idea how much to charge for doing this. I presume that there probably will be some kind of recognised going rate, so I am hoping that someone can stter me in the right direction.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Does anyone have any idea what the usual going rate is for offering a gift wrapping service to customers?

I've not actually got very far with finding out about gift wrapping charges. I been looking on youtube and learnt nothing. Instead I'm wondering whether offering free gift wapping of our sales items in the shop windows might be a good way of boosting sales. I am already aware of where I can order my gift wrapping supllies and I think that I'm likely to givr this a go.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ultima Thule
Organisation: retail framer
Interests: reading ,real ale, music

Re: Does anyone have any idea what the usual going rate is for offering a gift wrapping service to customers?

Post by Ultima Thule »

When we did gifts as the major part of the business - changed days....- we offered a free gift wrap service that was very popular and added greatly to footfall and sales. I still do it if asked for framing and it is still gratis - the cost of some fancy paper and a spool or two of curling ribbon is negligible, and the goodwill factor outweighs any cost. Add a pound or two to your price if you want to cover any ougoings.
Not your average framer

Are there any gift wpap suppliers that I should be thinking about contacting? The only supplier that I'm aware of so far is Morplan. I've bought a few bits and bobs from them in the past, most retail display stuff.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

How long will it take you to gift wrap an item?
I imagine anything more than a fiver would mean people tell you not to bother as they will do it themselves.
If you raise all your prices by a pound or two and offer it for free I think they'll really appreciate it.