Underpinner advice plz

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mrspoon_ste
Organisation: Ribbleton framers
Interests: Carpentry, films , sport walks and spending time with family

Underpinner advice plz

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

Hi all I'm new to the forum so not sure how to upload photos from my phone, I was a fine art framer for 30 yrs before redundancy. I have purchase an old pneumatic underpinner which I think is a euro, looks very similar. I have no idea about these machines, hoping someone can help plz, can the euro take different size v nails, if so does this require v nail blocks?
The v nails it uses are they the universal type? As I believe some v nails.may differ ..Any help would be much appreciated thank you
Ste
prospero

Re: Underpinner advice plz

Post by prospero »

Hi Mrspoon. :D

It could be on of the 9000 series Euro pinners. I had a manual version which I have only recently retired and that
used Cassesse Universal Wedges very successfully for many years. (They were better than the original Euro ones :lol: )
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Mrspoon_ste

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

20201114_150931.jpg
20201114_151015.jpg
20201114_150920.jpg
20201114_150926.jpg
20201114_150909.jpg
Thank you for your reply I think i have managed to upload pics.. I'm struggling to find info on this machine and wether I can use all or most sizes of pins
Cheers
Ste
Mrspoon_ste

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

We made a head for it to accommodate more moulding shapes the one that is seen attached to the machine is our own creation :)
prospero

Post by prospero »

:D That's the same movement as on my old pinner, just air-powered.

I only ever used 5, 7 and 10mm wedges. Not sure if you can go bigger, but you can do virtually anything with 7 and 10s.
5mm handy when pinning slips.

The action is pretty simple. Main thing is to make sure it's clear of glue residue. That's the main cause of jamming.

I always used a wooden triangle faced with cork and covered in clingfilm between to pressure pad and the join. The
standard pressure pad is a bit iffy. With a bit of ingenuity you can make all sorts of chevrons to make pinning easier
on various mouldings.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Although the euro underpinners are fairly old and not longer producted, they are still well respected machine and considered as extremely reliable machines. I had a pmeumatic Euro underpinner for a while and was quite impressed with how well it performed for quite an old and well used machine. It was in fact every bit as good as a new and more modern machine.

My machine had a small know you could turn to adjust the speed at which the firing and top clamp cylinder operated at, so that the firing hammer did not hit the wedge to hard and chip the firing hammer. If your machine has been fitted with one of those, it can be set so that the firing hammer is more gentle in it's action. This final hammer pressure is not affected, only the speed of travel.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mrspoon_ste

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

Hi all thanks for your replies, I've never used one before, will the universal v nails fit, I have these in my basket on lions website but don't want to spend on wrong ones
Thanks again for all your info,
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Yes, universal nails fit it , but be careful which make you buy, as some of the cheap one can be disapointing, when you look at the appearance of the finished joint from the rear. It does not matter so much when they are hidden when you tape up the back, but it really looks diappointing on the rear of ready made frames.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mrspoon_ste

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

Thank you for your help much appreciated :)
Not your average framer

My pneumatic euro underpinner was one of the earlier ones and was not capable of taking the 12mm, 15mm wedges a later magazine and firing block was available on the later models and I think that this was capable of being retro fitted, but I am not completely sure about this. I did have an illustrated list of all the parts, which seemed to suggest this.

The one that I had stacked wedges very easily so not being able to fire the larger wedges was not a serious issue as I just stacked multiple wedges instead. I think that it quite a testimony to the calibre of these machines, that they are still in such high demand after some many years after production ceased. The were so definitely made to last and particularly the pneumatic machines were built like tanks and don't seem to wear out.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Mrspoon_ste wrote: Mon 16 Nov, 2020 10:17 pm Hi all thanks for your replies, I've never used one before, will the universal v nails fit, I have these in my basket on lions website but don't want to spend on wrong ones
Thanks again for all your info,
If they are Imnes brand, I wouldn't buy them. :o
Not your average framer

I did not know whether I should mention the name, but it seems someone else has saved me the bother. :)
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer