framing a double sided film poster

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cliff
Organisation: home based
Interests: golf, Italy, France, walking, antique prints, framing

framing a double sided film poster

Post by cliff »

Hi Guys
I have a customer who requires a 27 x40 inch double sided film poster framed so they can view both sides.
Being quite large I thought maybe using perspex would be more practical and less weighty but would it be advisable to cut 2 mounts and sandwich the poster in between?
Not sure how to secure it all in the rebate of the frame -presumably the usual framers points and tape?

Would be good to hear of any suggestions.

Many thanks.
Cliff
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: framing a double sided film poster

Post by Not your average framer »

Jobs where an artwork needs to be viewed from both sides are a PITA and I often end up using the little roundind rare earth magnets in one half of the frame package and short steel screws set into the other half to hold both halves together. Nearly always I are framing the artwork between two mounts, or two slips it is almost always very fiddly and I often end up cut some of the depth off of both frames to get the distance between both pieces of glass on the front and the back the right space apart.

A narrow fillet in the rebate of one half, which also projects into the other half is very helpful when lining up the front and rear frames, but the fillet does not want to be the usual thickness of 6mm, as this leaves the edge of the slip to easily visible through the glass. Propero like to add a strip of linen tape to allow a small clearance space for the artwork to breathe a little and this is a good idea and worth doing although it can be a bit fiddly.

It quite easy to press the rare earth magnet into tight fitting holes between small bits of scrap wood and a G clamp the screws can then be countersunk in to the other side of the frame in corresponding positions. I like to make a little corner jig to get the holes drilled into the same positions on both the front and rear frames. I always mean to keep this jig for use when making any future frames like this, but can never find it when I later need it, because I can't remember what I did with it, so I end up making another.

Double sided frames involve more time than you might expect, so bare this in mind when quoting a price for doing the job!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cliff
Organisation: home based
Interests: golf, Italy, France, walking, antique prints, framing

Re: framing a double sided film poster

Post by cliff »

Thanks for your reply Mark.
Having discussed further with the customer they have now decided that framing in the conventional way would be acceptable as long as they can remove the backing board to view the reverse side of the poster. Happy days, that's saved me a lot of grief!!
Cliff