Making multi-sided boxes.

Ask for and give assistance
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Making multi-sided boxes.

Post by Not your average framer » Mon 23 Nov, 2020 1:22 pm

I am looking at making some hexagonal, or octagonal boxes to sell from my shop windows. To be honest, I have no experience whatsoever of doing anything like this before, but I don't minimise the difficulties that this will almost certainly involve. Joining the sides, will probably not be the most difficult bit as the sides can be machined using a bead and flute router tool set, which creates a swivelling joint which can be glued at whatever angle and should look great whatever the angle happens to be.

However, gluing the siding the sides to the base, sounds as though it will be a lot more difficult to get a good fit for gluing up. I am wondering if it might be possible to add a slight taper to the inside faces of the box and a corresponding taper to the base so that the gaps tightens up as you slide the base in to position, to allow for any variation in tolerances. I am currently unsure how I would be able to accomplish this, but it seems like the most obvious possibility at the moment.

My present thinking is that small mult-sided boxes are not going to be something that are going to be available in many places and therefore I won't need to worry about having much competition. Also they will be something fairly unique, which is probably a good selling point too! Whatever angle, you set the corners at there will be a nicely rounded finish to the corners because that's the way that bead and flue joint turn out.

Unfortunately, the router bit set is only for use with !/$ inch think material and this is a bit of a limitation when it comes to being able to use fixings when securing the glue joins together and being able to completely hide the presence of such fixing, Using an under pinner is almost certainly out of the question, but just using glue alone might not be enough,so there is still a lot to think about.

Any thoughts, or suggestions will be most welcome,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer