Ideas on how to allocate moulding to customer?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Ideas on how to allocate moulding to customer?

Post by Coxby »

In an attempt to avoid over-ordering I am getting 'smarter' with stock-control using an Inventory App on Android but still looking for the best ways to allocate lengths of moulding to the customer who has ordered it so we don't use it for someone else.

Considering we have over 50 racks of moulding types it isn't currently feasible to put the lengths in a 'sold' bin as we don't really have the space. I've thought about QR/Barcodes or simply writing the customer name on the length but thought I'd put it out there as I'm sure some of you have some savvy tips on this :D

Thank you in advance for you help.
Edward Coxwell-Rogers
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Ideas on how to allocate moulding to customer?

Post by pramsay13 »

I only order moulding lengths when I get an order, so if I have a full length on my shelf it is already allocated.
I have another shelf or two of leftover moulding from other jobs that goes onto a spreadsheet so I can check this before ordering more.
If you already have moulding and want to allocate it to a customer surely just put an X on the end with a sharpie. Another option is you can wrap handywrap around a few times and then write a name or number, whatever suits.
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Post by Coxby »

Thanks for the the ideas Peter. I think the Sharpie 'x' is the best option for the moment only as we order in boxes of moulding so there's always lengths in stock before they get sold.
Edward Coxwell-Rogers
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I am not always able to do this, but I try to make the basic frame, cut the glass and backing board, if I can the day the job comes in. I have quite a number of vertical compartments built in to one of my benches and it's one compartment per customer job, so the frame get made as soon after taking in the job and it is stored with everthing else pertaining to that job.

Mounts are generally cut all on the same day of the week and I have up to two days per weelk for finishing things off. I only loosely follow this system, as there are many different demand that are placed up on my business, which come out of the blue, with little or no warning. I would not say that I am super organised, life tends not to be like that. IIt's more like organised caos, but I works (sort of).
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer