ideas for 1st day covers?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

ideas for 1st day covers?

Post by Trinity »

I've 8 1st day cover envelopes to go into a frame and am stuck as how to mount them. I don't really want to cover the edges because they then lose the letter look somewhat. My only thought is a couple of Melinex straps around each one - giving it's own problems of lining up. Has anyone got any ideas please?
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: ideas for 1st day covers?

Post by Not your average framer »

It's not going to be easy to mount the first day covers without the means of mounting beinhg obvious. So I thinging about making so slot in a piece of mount board and running some thin blue ribband across all four corners of the first day cover. The thinner the ribbon, the better within reason. If you can't hide the method of fixing, it's probably not a bad idea to make it a feature. It would also need spacing away from the glass.

It's quite simple and not what you would call hard to implelement. If there aren't a better suggestions, then this might be a good move!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

What about using clear archival mounting corners. That way they remain in pristine condition. If you don't like seeing the clear corners, you could use a shadow mount with a window cut smaller than the corners.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

2 great suggestions, thank you. I'd been thinking along the lines of a band mylar band around the envelopes but both suggestions will give a much cleaner look. I'll let the guy consider both options, PEL do the self adhesive corner mounts as you might know.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Jim Miller
Organisation: James Miller
Interests: Framing objects, Calligraphy, Educating/mentoring framers, technical writing/framing articles & books

Post by Jim Miller »

How about clear polyester film (Mylar-D) encapsulation? Cut two sheets about 2" larger than the item and on the convex side of one of them, apply strips of 1/4" wide fillet tape (NOT ATG) within 1/4" of the item's edges. Position the item and the lay on the top sheet, convex side down. Apply weight to keep from shifting and peel away the tape strips' release papers.

Then, you can position the encapsulated envelopes in mounts with windows cut 1/8" larger all around. This is one of the techniques described in the new book, Complete Guide to Direct Contact Overlays-DCO.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Well I did consider that Jim, but on balance I think with 8 envelopes the over presence of the slightly reflective Melinex would dominate. I have in front of me PFM article Dec 2001; Mounting with clear polyester film article2007 rev 1/08 and your earlier book on the same topic - all are gems.
I'm going to try the PEL self adhesive Melinex corners, at £7 for a bag full they may provide the cost effective solution.

I have struggled to find a UK source for the new book but can direct members to a pdf copy
https://miller-consulting.square.site/p ... /3?cs=true

Thanks
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I also use Mylar quite a bit for object framing, but I also find that there are occasions when the glossy nature of mylar is less han idea. Mylar is the trde name for polyester produced by Dupont in the USA. I bought a massive roll of polyester, from a local packaging supplier and that's what I have been using in place of Mylar. It works just fine, but the glossy surface of the Mylar (polyester) is not always most appropriate for every framing job and I also was less than keen to use a polyester overlay in this case. Hence the suggestion of the ribbon, but the mylar is a very suitable conservation quality material, if the customer does not mind the glossy appearance.

You might well call me too fussy, but I'm very much "old school" and like methods of fixing to be completely invisible, or at least made to look like an intended feature, like the ribbon which is an "old school" technique which I have seen quite often in antique auctions and the like, which to me always strikes me as something which is often is taken as a mark of quality and skillful presentation. I would like to make it clear that I really like and often use the clear Mylar method of fixing and this is not intended to suggest that there is anything wrong with this technique, in fact I would say that it is one of the best technique that is available for so many applications.

I just like to see collectible items, which are not normal seen with a glossy appearance, to be presented without the addition of a glossy appearance being added. Sorry about that.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jim Miller
Organisation: James Miller
Interests: Framing objects, Calligraphy, Educating/mentoring framers, technical writing/framing articles & books

Post by Jim Miller »

Trinity wrote: Thu 17 Dec, 2020 11:06 am I have struggled to find a UK source for the new book but can direct members to a pdf copy
The Square online store cannot process international transactions, other than the PDF download, due to the exchange rates and variable shipping expenses. However, I can ship anywhere. Contact me and I will reply with the total for your order, including shipping, and when you say go, I will send you a PayPal invoice. As soon as that PayPal transaction is processed, I will ship your book(s). Simple as that.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Mark I do think your solution would look great, but with 8 to do I'm not sure I'd get them all lined up. I will however have a look at cutting some slits on the Wizard - that'll be 32 openings though
Not your average framer

I'm not as high tech as that. I'm still doing stuff like that by hand, but it still works for me.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

BTW, blue ribbon is the colour that is choosen, because blue is more fade resistant that other colours and therefore the blue will not fade over many years.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Come to think of it do you do 2 slits per corner, or just one, please
Not your average framer

I always do two slits per corner. It's much easier to postion the envelope exactly as you want it. Also try and avoid using very much tension on the ribbon, so that the envelope stay nice and flat against the mountboard backing. I always like to hide my slits under the envelope, for me it just looks tidier that way.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Post by joh5nny »

Trinity wrote: Thu 17 Dec, 2020 11:06 am I have struggled to find a UK source for the new book but can direct members to a pdf copy
Just had a look at the Lion website, and apparently it'll be available from them in early 2021