Does anyone know if shou shugi ban produces a worthwhile effect on Obeche?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Does anyone know if shou shugi ban produces a worthwhile effect on Obeche?

Post by Not your average framer »

I been doing a bit of shou shugi ban Burnt wood finishes on cheap pine mountings, but the range of available pine moundings is a bit limited, so I am starting to think about trying this effect on some Obeche moulds instead. To be honest, I'm not really sure what to expect, if I do this to Obeche and wondered if anyone else has ever tried this and can perhaps advice me about whether this is worth giving it a go, or perhaps just a bad idea.

Shou shugi ban is quite a popular and "on trend" thing at the moment and can look very effective on the right choice of mouldings and I would like to give it a go on a mirror, or two. I will of course be sealing the surface with something really solid and durable to prevent any on the burnt finish from rubbing off on customers hands.

January is probably going to be making lots of things for the shop windows and getting the shop window display areas fitted out. Hopefully some of the shop fittings will get sorted as well. I'm planning on re-opening my shop before long. It's been quite a long time since I was taken out of action by my stroke and it's probably about time to get things back in action again.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: Does anyone know if shou shugi ban produces a worthwhile effect on Obeche?

Post by vintage frames »

I don't think burning the surface of obeche wood is going to create a more interesting effect other than just charred wood. The reason it works better on pine is because of the distinctive and wide wood grain pattern. Burning back the surface can bring out a sharp contrast in shades across the grain.
But I might be wrong and it never hurts to try.
More interesting might be to layer on some differing paint colours, waxing between each coat and then apply the blow-torch.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Does anyone know if shou shugi ban produces a worthwhile effect on Obeche?

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks Dermt,

That sounds like some really interesting ideas to try. I got a pretty good selection of different shades and colours of paste waxes and pattinating waxes, so I will be giving some of that a try.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer