stacked frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Re: stacked frames

Post by Trinity »

Thank you very much for thread of information so far, I've really appreciated the photos. I know what you mean about copying others ideas, it can be detrimental to developing your own style. But, great, I've learnt a lot just by looking at the photos.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I like making stacked moulding frames with a fair bit of depth to the outside edges and a bit of shape to these outside edges as well. This does not have to mean that you need to be using more expensive mouldings, in fact it is highly desireable that you find ways of avoiding un-necesarily expensive materials. I have various different pneumatics pin guns, nail guns and staple guns and will often stack various different mouldings to build up a suitable outside edge section.

I have a silly amount of assorted mouldings which I have bought over the years as discontinued moulding at very cheap prices and these get pinned and glued together to make many of the mouldings with less potential in to more useful segments to incorporate in to stacked profiles. It is not an exageration to say that some mouldings which I have bought over the years were only about 10 pence per foot, so stacking up cheap discontinued mouldings can be economically well worth looking at.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I am currently trying to get my annual accounts completed before the deadline, but after this I will be making some stacked moulding ready made frades. I've got quite a lot of mouldings blocking up some space, that I need to make available, so I will be needing to convert some of this moulding into frames which can be sold and converted into cash. Unwanted mouldings stock is perhaps an ideal opportunity, which is starring you in the face, especially if it does not owe you much and you want to convert some potentially dead stock in to some useful cash.

Much of this old stock is factory finished, but this does not much matter, as it is so easy to coat over the original finishes with a suitable primer and then re-finish the whole stacked profile frame and it's really to sell. I've got a crazy amount of not very useful mouldings from a long time ago and I don't mind selling some of them as job lots on Ebay. Job lots can be really good, it's cheaper to pack a job lot compared to individual frames and the carriage costs are usually lower as well.

Stuff like this, can sell very well if it looks good and there are always buyers who are interested in quality items in bulk to split in to individual items and sell at a good profit. I've done stuff like this before and there is usually plenty of bidders for a worthwhile and nice quality job lot, so the final sales price can be quite good for me as well. I need the space much more than I need some less useful stock and at least it beats burning stuff that I need out of the way and getting nothing for it. So that's a job for the next week, or two and if I've got the time I will do some photos for the forum.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Look forward to some photo's then Mark, some as you go if you can
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Not your average framer

I thought you would like that. It's going to take a little while to get organised.

I've also got some slatwall retail display wall panels, which I am thinking of slicing up to use as the middle section of a stacked three section profile for some retro style imitation G Plan style frames. I have a feeling that someone might go for them if they are promoted right.

I might even try the odd industrial type stacked frame as well. I've never tried this before, so if I do it, it will be a bit of an experiment.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer