lining the inside of deep box frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

lining the inside of deep box frames

Post by Not your average framer »

My youngest brother, who is a bit of a Land Rover and Range Rover Fanatic bought a fairly large roll of very expensive roof lining material for relining the rooves of his two Land rovers and after he finished doing this, there was still loads left over and he gave this to me. It's a very nice felt like fabric with a flexible plastic coating on the reverse side and I was thinking about using this for lining the inside of box frames.

My assumption is that I could use double sided carpet tape to stick this fabric to the surface of the internal spacers and the facing mount board at the rear of the inside of the box frame. knowing that self adhesive carpet tape is an extremely strong self adhesive and I'm thinking that the adhesion should be la fairly permanent method of fixing.

I believe that this is the same stuff, which is sold as tapestry tape by certain framing suppliers and wondered, if anyone has any reservations aboat using such tape for this purpose. Any thoughts will be must welcome.

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: lining the inside of deep box frames

Post by prospero »

In the '80s, I made some Velcro panels for chevrons. 4'x2' on plywood. To adhere the fabric I used strips of HD carpet tape.
Covered the entire panel and peeled it strip-by-strip which made managing the placement easy. Better than contact adhesive
where you have one shot at getting it right. Anyhow, the panels have been in my (unheated) shed since about '94. I found one recently
and they are still stuck fast. No noticeable degradation or staining.
If you pull a sample off sometimes it lifts, but you can smooth the bump back down with ease.
Given that the lining of a box frame will never be subject to stress then I would be confident about using it. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks Peter,

I was thinking much the same thing. I have no idea what the tapes specification says, but it seems extremely sticky stuff. I am mostly thinking of using it for ready made beep box frames and most of those are made from left over bits of scraps and as usual I am trying to avoid both added work and material costs.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

The reason I started to use PVA and a few bits of carpet / tapestry tape , was when I used tapestry tape to cover the back of the mountcard before cutting it strips to use as card spacers, I found the adhesive would give way on some box framess and the top spacer would bow down, had the same frame come back 3 times because of this, until I found out the frame was in a alcove with a lamp below it, so the heat from the lamp would soften the adhesive causing the spacer to bow down :head: . Now I cut the spacers, fit a couple of bits of tapestry tape and a few dabs of PVA , the tape holds the card until the PVA sets, I don't take any chances now :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

Thanks Steve,

That makes perfect sense. Unfortunately for me the reverse side of the fabric that I have is has a plastic menbrane bonded un to the fabric and it does not appear to be possible to remove the plastic film without destroying the integrity of the fabric. In fact the fabric appears to rely up on the plastic membrane to hold everthing together, but the plastic membrane is very glossy and I am not really expecting PVA glue to stick to something which does not appear to have any porosity, or therefore to be in anyway PVA compatible.

I am begining to think that this might not be such a good idea after all. Is this the end of the line with using this fabric, or is there a way that I can still safely use this fabric?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

This turns out not to be as viable as I had previously believed. The fabric appeared to be woven, but it is not. Although it is an amazingly strong fabric, it is lots of little short pieces of yarn, which have bent bent to the middle and literally welded to the base layer of plastic. It is only the layer of plastic, which is holding the fabric together and therefore there is no possibilty of removing the plastic to glue the fabric with PVA glue.

The only possiblity of using the fabric at all, is if some kind of adhesive medium can be used to secure the plastic in place and I'm not really certain what adhesive medium that would need to be. My persoal expectation is that it would be an expensive adhesive medium with specified conditions of preparations and usage, which would introduce un-necesary complications and simple be much too complicated to be worth the bother.

Anyway thanks for all suggestions,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

You could fold it arond the moutcard spacer, so you have about 10mm folded around the back of the card, attach with double sided tape, the glue another piece of card to the back ( cut slightly smaller than the card with material stretched around) so that the material is glued and trapped between the two cards, then attach (when glue has set ) this package to the inside of the frame for your spacer. A similar technique that is use for covering 'door cards' in cars, where the exscess material is folded around the back and stuck, I have used it when using padding under the material and then fitting buttons, to give that padded look, look great for wedding bouquets or any 3D objects, looks 'very plush' . :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

Thanks Steve,

A good idea, but the fabric is not very flexible and does not fold round tight corners, so I can't actually make that one work.

Thanks for still thinking of me,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer