protecting watercolors.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Peterm
Organisation: Special Forces Club
Interests: Furniture making. Picture framing, stained glass and mosaic. I enjoy history, art, talking, visiting old historic places.Walking ,cooking and keeping fit.
Learning French and Italian this year.I am a bit partial to Lemon Meringue.

protecting watercolors.

Post by Peterm »

Hi Everyone on this glorious day,

I recently bought 30 watercolors from the same artist from an auction. I have stripped the frames and bought from Lion L937 22m Ash. I would like to frame them without the mount board and glass, using beeswax to protect them. Would this work? Would I have to seal them on both sides with beeswax?

Thank you, Peter
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: protecting watercolors.

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I have seen this and tried it myself. It works, I didn’t do the back but have only done it on a couple of my own paintings.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Bees wax will waterproof a watercolor on paper; however, it is not reversible and will definitely destroy any resale value.
The coating will also be a magnet for dirt and grime.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have not heard of watercolour paintings being coated with wax, but assumed that you were intending to seal the ash frames with beeswax. I can't actually understand why the watercour painting would need this, but assume that they would be framed behind some sort of glazing.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Could it be that you don't like the 'glazed' effect and just want to protect the art from moisture, dirt etc?

Well you could and if you did, it would be wise to wax the back as well to avoid the paper curling inside the frame.

But you could also float mount them as 'objects' inside a larger than the paper frame and glaze them with an art glass that is invisible to the eye. As warned by jFeig, waxing them will destroy their future value.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
prospero

Post by prospero »

One word:

NO

:shock:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Peterm
Organisation: Special Forces Club
Interests: Furniture making. Picture framing, stained glass and mosaic. I enjoy history, art, talking, visiting old historic places.Walking ,cooking and keeping fit.
Learning French and Italian this year.I am a bit partial to Lemon Meringue.

Post by Peterm »

Thanks for the advice. I will experiment with the first 3 watercolors by:
1. Waxing both sides of the watercolor in a frame without mount board and glass.
2. Following Vintage Frames' suggestion of float mounting.
3. Using the traditional method of mount and glass.
Will let family, friends and beloved wife choose which one appeals to them.

Peter
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Be aware that if you wax the back you'll have a job to find anything to stick to it, in terms of mounting materials. I speak from experience! (not my idea to wax it right before bringing it in for framing...)
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Post by fitz »

I use Dorlands Wax medium which when applied to watercolours gives them a protective coating and a nice sheen finish. They can then be framed without glass such as float mounting flush or raised. I wouldn’t use it on valuable pieces but routinely use it on everyday watercolours which should generally be painted on good quality paper that will remain flat.
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Going back to the title of the post. The best way to protect a watercolour is to mount it behind glass.
This is framing, this is what we do. It's simple, it's incredibly effective.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

At one time I had some moulding samples in my shop window and the had been hand finish with chalky emulsion paints and sealed with wax. One day I found that there was a wasp in the window eating the wax off of one of the mouldings. Insects' body mass contains a high volume of body fat, where do you think they get their supplys of fat from? If the wax is impregnated in to the suface of the paper, perhaps they will eat in to that as well.

Watercolours have a characteristic look, which is partly due to the surface of the paper. It's unlikely to look the same, if it has been waxed. If you wax a water colour and it no longer has the characteristic look of a watercolour, it will probably look like some sort of print. What happens when the wax on the surface of the water colour get dirty? You can clean normal watercolours, but can you safely and satisfactorily clean one that has been waxed?

Insects also leave flyspecks on things. I think that's better on the glass in front of a watercolour, rather than on the watercolour it's self. I'm yet to think of any good, or advatageous reason why waxing a watercolour is a good thing. or even makes any kind of good sense at all. My own personal instincts are never too even think about doing such a thing. I hope that this makes sense!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

The thought occurs: What exactly are you seeking to protect them from?

Physical damage? Wax won't do it. Oils on canvas can be repaired relatively easily if you poke a hole in them. Not paper.

Airborne Pollution? Wax won't do it. In fact it will pick up gunk more effectively and be impossible to clean.

All in all if you don't protect them with glass then you may as well do nothing and watch them deteriorate. :roll:
fitz

Post by fitz »

Watercolours do deteriorate over time as many of the pigments are known as fugitive and even behind glass they will fade and even disappear entirely. Many watercolourists aim to prevent or at least minimise this process by waxing their paintings. Should probably still be framed behind glass though although some like the option of no mount no glass.
Not your average framer

Wax is insect food, so is paper! That's why we have Glass!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Wow! I stand corrected @fitz, that's not something I've ever heard of or seen before.
Justin George GCF(APF)
fitz

Post by fitz »

Not your average framer wrote: Fri 04 Jun, 2021 6:29 pm Wax is insect food, so is paper! That's why we have Glass!
With all due respect even glass doesn’t stop the thunder flies we get here in Scotland. Check out the very best sealed backboards and after a few years spot the thunder flies. The tapes will still be perfect but the flies are there nevertheless. They get in between the glass and the sight edge. Think it has something to do with Irn Bru.
prospero

Post by prospero »

fitz wrote: Fri 04 Jun, 2021 5:51 pm Watercolours do deteriorate over time as many of the pigments are known as fugitive and even behind glass they will fade and even disappear entirely. Many watercolourists aim to prevent or at least minimise this process by waxing their paintings. Should probably still be framed behind glass though although some like the option of no mount no glass.
An artist who wants their work to last would avoid pigments that are known to be fugitive. These pigments are mostly synthetic and
made for illustrators who want bright colours but once the work is reproduced the originals are of no consequence and are often discarded.
prospero

Post by prospero »

fitz wrote: Fri 04 Jun, 2021 8:31 pm With all due respect even glass doesn’t stop the thunder flies we get here in Scotland. Check out the very best sealed backboards and after a few years spot the thunder flies. The tapes will still be perfect but the flies are there nevertheless. They get in between the glass and the sight edge. Think it has something to do with Irn Bru.
I have been battling the little flies for years. :lol:

My solution is to sandwich the glass/mount/backboard with masking tape.

It works. :clap:
WP_20180511_12_34_55_Pro.jpg
That one had been catching the critters for the best part of 30 years. :D
fitz

Post by fitz »

That’s brilliant. Sealing off the whole package/sandwich! Simple but effective. I’ve renovated a lot of old frames the contents of which have been sealed off like this with what appears to be sellotape and have wondered about this. Learning all the time. Thsnkyou 👍
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Depending on the level of protection (materials) I am giving the piece, I use acid free self adhesive white "NItto"/"Artists" tape or for the higher level I use gummed acid free white paper tape to seal the sandwich.
Some framers still seem to be reluctant to sandwich like this, saying it's a mess to deal with when replacing broken glass for a customer.
In my experience, the extra time it takes to tape up is still quicker than the few that need repeated opening and reclosing due to flumbs. If the glass is broken the tape can hold some of it in place until it's delivered to the framer and like you say, it prevents the likelihood of insects etc..
Justin George GCF(APF)