Packaging

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Thewhitewallgallery
Organisation: The White Wall Framers
Interests: Sports and Framing

Packaging

Post by Thewhitewallgallery »

I saw a packaging company reccomeded on here a few months ago who were very reasonable and can't for the life of me remember what they were called :head:

Its mainly to get bespoke boxes made to measure and are going to be large rather than small.

if you could please advise where you guys use it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Matt
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Packaging

Post by Justintime »

Kite packaging have a bespoke box service.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I can tell you from personal experience that sourcing and storing packaging material is a far from easy task for smaller businesses. Buying packaging material and ready made, or custom made boxes can be quite expensive in smaller quantities. Larger businesses get much better prices, as a result of needing much larger quantities and the difference in prices vs quantity is really extremely large in my experience. Then there is the storage issue, to buy the kind of quantities that are likely to help with decent prices, you will need to store your stock of flat packed boxes in volume and the usable storage life of flat packed boxes is not particularly brilliant, if you are storing them somewhere like in a shed, or a garage even slightly damp air and a lack of heating, becomes a concern as corrigated cardboard deteriorates and loses that pristine look remarkable quickly

Flat packed card board boxes don't sound particularly bulky, but the volume adds up very quickly. Also when I was working in manufacturing industry, flat packed card board boxes where stored flat on pallets, which is the best method of storage to get the best storage life. Not many of us smaller businesses, have enough space to make this either possible, or practical to do. Unfortunately courier and delivery companies, do not have much of a track record for how they handle items boxed for dispatch to our customers, so besides the actual cardboard boxes, there is usually additional internal packaging and filling materials to be considered as well. Again more expense and more storage space required. I must admit that I did not try very hard to beat this problem at all.

I've had to bite the bulllet and swallow the extra cost of operating with a minimum stock of framing materials, as I just do not have much space available and this increases my packaging costs quite considerably and it all has to be funded from either the prices which I charge my customers, or from my profit margins. Some packaging suppliers have reps and will happily look at how they can provide the best solution to fulfilling your needs, in the most cost effective way to suit how things need to work for you. I use a small, but relatively local packaging supplier, which has a free delivery service within a certain area, subject to a minimum order of about £30 and this is the way that I operate. I don't much like packaging large frames and other items for dispatch and delivery and as such do my best not be agree to this.

I also like to keep and reuse boxes from items dispatched to me. It is not uncommon for me to make up a rim for a durable box and enclose the contents inside this rim with heavy duty corrigated cardboard and additional makeshift packaging inside. This is not necessarily the most cost efficient way of doing things, but it enables me to operate with a minimal stock of packaging materials and does not require excessive storage space for materials. I use my Fletcher Terry 3100 wall mounted flat materials cutter to cut my corrigated cardboard to size. There usually is a fair bit of waste from the 8ft x 4ft sheets of corrigated cardboard and this waste forms some of the internal packing support and protection within the box. it's certainly not ideal, but it's a workable solution for the very limited available space which I have available.

For me things that are delivered in useful boxesfor dispatching items to customers are not waste, but a useful packaging resource at zero expense.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

In fewer words...

https://www.ascdirect.co.uk/

Ive used them many times.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

:clap:
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Thewhitewallgallery

Justintime wrote: Mon 25 Jan, 2021 12:12 pm Kite packaging have a bespoke box service.

Thank you
Thewhitewallgallery

GeoSpectrum wrote: Mon 25 Jan, 2021 7:54 pm In fewer words...

https://www.ascdirect.co.uk/

Ive used them many times.

Thank you
Thewhitewallgallery

Not your average framer wrote: Mon 25 Jan, 2021 3:35 pm I can tell you from personal experience that sourcing and storing packaging material is a far from easy task for smaller businesses. Buying packaging material and ready made, or custom made boxes can be quite expensive in smaller quantities. Larger businesses get much better prices, as a result of needing much larger quantities and the difference in prices vs quantity is really extremely large in my experience. Then there is the storage issue, to buy the kind of quantities that are likely to help with decent prices, you will need to store your stock of flat packed boxes in volume and the usable storage life of flat packed boxes is not particularly brilliant, if you are storing them somewhere like in a shed, or a garage even slightly damp air and a lack of heating, becomes a concern as corrigated cardboard deteriorates and loses that pristine look remarkable quickly

Flat packed card board boxes don't sound particularly bulky, but the volume adds up very quickly. Also when I was working in manufacturing industry, flat packed card board boxes where stored flat on pallets, which is the best method of storage to get the best storage life. Not many of us smaller businesses, have enough space to make this either possible, or practical to do. Unfortunately courier and delivery companies, do not have much of a track record for how they handle items boxed for dispatch to our customers, so besides the actual cardboard boxes, there is usually additional internal packaging and filling materials to be considered as well. Again more expense and more storage space required. I must admit that I did not try very hard to beat this problem at all.

I've had to bite the bulllet and swallow the extra cost of operating with a minimum stock of framing materials, as I just do not have much space available and this increases my packaging costs quite considerably and it all has to be funded from either the prices which I charge my customers, or from my profit margins. Some packaging suppliers have reps and will happily look at how they can provide the best solution to fulfilling your needs, in the most cost effective way to suit how things need to work for you. I use a small, but relatively local packaging supplier, which has a free delivery service within a certain area, subject to a minimum order of about £30 and this is the way that I operate. I don't much like packaging large frames and other items for dispatch and delivery and as such do my best not be agree to this.

I also like to keep and reuse boxes from items dispatched to me. It is not uncommon for me to make up a rim for a durable box and enclose the contents inside this rim with heavy duty corrigated cardboard and additional makeshift packaging inside. This is not necessarily the most cost efficient way of doing things, but it enables me to operate with a minimal stock of packaging materials and does not require excessive storage space for materials. I use my Fletcher Terry 3100 wall mounted flat materials cutter to cut my corrigated cardboard to size. There usually is a fair bit of waste from the 8ft x 4ft sheets of corrigated cardboard and this waste forms some of the internal packing support and protection within the box. it's certainly not ideal, but it's a workable solution for the very limited available space which I have available.

For me things that are delivered in useful boxesfor dispatching items to customers are not waste, but a useful packaging resource at zero expense.

Thank you Mark,

yes not as easy when you don't really want to post frames, but needs must in these difficult times we must adapt and lots of my clients are based all over the UK.

Thanks again.

Matt