Only an issue with wide moulding?!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Frangipaniframer
Organisation: Bell Fine Art
Interests: 1940-50s fashion, lifestyle and memorabilia. Sewing, crafting, and of course picture framing

Only an issue with wide moulding?!

Post by Frangipaniframer »

Hi all!

Our workshop have been having problems with joining really wide moulding. The moulding I’m currently working on is about 80mm wide and the first two joins are nice and tight, the last two are super gappy!

I’ve checked the morso, it’s straight and level. I have no idea why this could be happening! Any thoughts would be greatly welcome.

Fran
Fran Howson GCF APF
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Only an issue with wide moulding?!

Post by JFeig »

If you have measured the angle between both knives and the adjustable backstops (2) as exactly 45°with a precision triangle, the only other variable is the straightness of the wood stock.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Re: Only an issue with wide moulding?!

Post by prospero »

It's the 'left fence tweak' again. :P

Get four pieces of scrap wood - wide as you can find that will fit in the Morso. I think 4" is about the max if you remove the rebate supports.
Doesn't have to be moulding.
Cut 4 equal bits.
'Dry' fit then together.
Note any gaps.
If there is a gap on the inside, slacken the knob on the left fence and move it toward you a tiny bit.
Recut the pieces.
If the gap reduces, move the fence a bit more. If the gap moves to the outer edge, you have tweaked too much. Back a bit.....

Keep doing this until the gap goes.

Even if you set the blades dead 45º, it doesn't necessarily follow that they will produce 45º faces. Wood is funny stuff.
As the blades begin to lose their freshly ground edge they can go off track a tad. The error is minute, but it is multiplied x8
on the whole frame. You cannot alter the right side angle, but tweaking the left will compensate for any inaccuracies.
In theory the right/left faces will be different lengths, but we're talking a gnat's eyebrow so it will not be noticed.
The wider the moulding, the bigger the gap due to the divergence of the angle.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About