V Nail Cartridge Issue

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

V Nail Cartridge Issue

Post by fitz »

Hi,

I have a Casesse C1 cartridge V Nailer, foot operated and by and large I am quite happy with it. However I just wondered if anyone has had any similar issues with v nail wastage as the cartridge gets near to the last nails. I find that I am wasting up to 40-50 v nails. They don’t t seem to want to move forward in the cartridge which could be due to lack of pressure from the spring and they’re not being pushed forward far enough. This has resulted in problems with the firing system jamming mid use and nails not being properly driven home. I’ve now got a collection of near empty cartridges each with a good number of nails which I could be making use of but dare not in order to avoid jamming issues? Any comments would be appreciated.
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Re: V Nail Cartridge Issue

Post by JonathanB »

I used to have the same machine and this is a common issue. It drove me mad until someone told me the answer. If you take a spare plastic 'pusher' from inside a used cartridge and push it into a half finished cartridge so that you then have two pushers inside, you'll find that it increases the pressure against the remaining v-nails, making waste a thing of the past. Worked for me and solved the problem straight away.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I spray a little GT85 teflon spray lubricant down the sides of the wedges inside the cartridge, Cassesse make a big deal about their wedges being lubricated, well I figure that this is to do with the friction of the wedges sliding against the inside of the cartridge bodies. My reasoning is that the original lubricant dries out a bit in time, so I give a stick cartridge a quick sprat with GT85 and I'm back in business.

I changed the magazine spring once and that solved the problem at the time, but the spring gets tired surprisingly quick and you are back to the same old problem in almost no time at all. I have not bought any cartridge for years but instead I refill them with unversal wedges instead. The wedges that I most prefer are the Alfamacchine power twist PTU universal wedges and they are noticably better the Cassesse wedges as normally supplied in their cartridges.

What ever you do don't bother buying any of the Inmes wedges they are the worst wedges that you can get and they dont produce any noticable tighten effect of the join as you drive them in. They are just useless, I used them in two cassesse underpinners and one pneumatic Euro underpinner. In each case the results were a big disappointment.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I always refill the cartridges. Thanks to Mark for the tip. :yes:

I also have some Imnes wedges in cartridges and I can confirm they are crap. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

:Slap:

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fitz

Post by fitz »

Thank you everyone for the very helpful responses. They are much appreciated and I will explore your solutions further. I did try to release the piece of plastic but couldn’t budge it. I think I will need to break one open to release one to reinsert into a different cartridge. I would also love to know how to reload the empty cartridge with other nails as this seems like a great solution too. How do you get the plastics insert out without breaking open the cartridge.
Not your average framer

The insert will wiggle out with some thin nosed electrical pliars if the slightly stretch the sides of the cartidge side ways at the location of the little plastic insert, whick helps to press the wedges forward in the cartridge. Careful as you ease the sides of the cartridge apart, the plastic side walls are not that thick and you don't want to permanently distort them.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
fitz

Post by fitz »

Hi Mark, Thanks very much for the advice. I’ll definitely give this a go....👍
prospero

Post by prospero »

Getting the little plastic 'pusher' out requires a bit a brute force and ignorance. The little ratchet prongs
can be snapped off with no ill effect, but you have to handle the cartridges carefully so the wedges don't
slip out the end. :roll: :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

Its the spring that has stretched (always remove the cartridge as soon as you have finished with it) and doesn't have enough force to push the last few nails to the block.

I bought my replacement spring from Joe at DJ Simons - no more problem.
fitz

Post by fitz »

Thanks for the info. Spent a wee bit of time today loading the ‘left overs’ into an empty cartridge and I soon got the knack of it. I actually think I won’t buy any more cartridges but will just reload empty ones as necessary. Seems pretty straightforward really. Great advice and a great example of the benefit of experience sharing.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I push a short length of dowel inside the cartridge when it gets low. This allows all of the v-nails to be used.

These are inmes v-nails and I’ve never had a second thought that they might not be very good?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer

I kind of wonder if the strip of glue along the top of some strips of wedges might be touching the top of the inside of the cartrige a little. It's just not easy to tell only by looking. Sometimes I give the top of the strip of wedges an extra quirt of GT85 add slide the wedges backwards and forwards just feel if it it sliding nicely. I don't recall ever having a problem, but I like to make sure.

The suggested little piece of dowel sonds helpful.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer