Underpinner v nails

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mrspoon_ste
Organisation: Ribbleton framers
Interests: Carpentry, films , sport walks and spending time with family

Underpinner v nails

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

Hi could anyone help me plz I'm looking for a v nail brand that I can use for a old euro pneumatic underpinner
Thank you
Ste
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Underpinner v nails

Post by Not your average framer »

Euro underpinners use universal type wedges. Be aware that some universal wedges from certain manufactures are better that others, in so far as they pull the joint together as they are inserted. Not all manufactures wedges claim to do this. For me it's not all about buying the cheapest wedges, very often you really do get what you pay for. I really like the Alfamacchine power twist PTU universal wedges I reload my Cassesse wedge cartridges with them, they may not be the cheapest by they really do pull the mitres together very well. Wedges are cheap enough anyway and any saving by buying cheap wedges is minimal, so it really makes no sense to buy cheaper, poor quality wedges and get inferior result by doing so.

I bought some Inmes wedges some time ago, the certainly were cheap, but I really did not like the results. Most disappointing! Check out this post:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19637&sid=83f0f93c ... 0352158680

As you will see, I am not the only one who is disappointed with Inmes wedges!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I used Casesse Uni wedges for years in my manual Euro, before it was retired. They were better than
the original Euro ones. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Mrspoon_ste
Organisation: Ribbleton framers
Interests: Carpentry, films , sport walks and spending time with family

Post by Mrspoon_ste »

Thanks guys, I've tracked down a supplier of the casesse wedges I'll have a try at those
Thanks again
Ste