Best hanging wire to use on tiny plaster frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Best hanging wire to use on tiny plaster frames

Post by daveym »

I've recently begun making some extremely small plaster frames using a vintage mold. These are just decorative items but I'd like to find the best way of hanging them. The frames measure only 11.5cm x 8.5cm and 8mm deep and weight between 100-200grams.

I had purchase 25mm no nail knock in sawtooth hangers with the intention of placing these into the mold whilst casting but since I've received these I've realised the depth of the hangers is deeper than the mold itself so won't work unless I bend the ends of the hangers which is a pain.

I'd like to use a good quality thin wire hanger which I can loop and place into the plaster, so when the plaster dries the loop will be held firmly in place allowing the frame to be hung on a small nail. All the wires Iv'e come across seem to be 1.25mm-2mm and in my opinion a little too thick for such a small frame. Can anyone give suggestions as to the best thickness of wire to use and the most suitable.

Also, where best would it be to place a loop so as the frame hangs relatively flush to a wall. Should I have a loop at the top so it can be seen when hung up or should it be hidden from view? If the latter then some customers might miss the loop when hanging and drop the frame causing it to damage.

I look forward to any replies.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: Best hanging wire to use on tiny plaster frames

Post by vintage frames »

If you do want the frames to sit flush to the wall and that is the best look, then the only way is to have a top hanger.
For wire, go to 'florist wire' on e-bay. On such a small frame I would be inclined to a hand-twisted loop being more attractive than a manufactured product. It would be of solid iron wire and I would age it with diluted tormaline ( Liberon ).
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Best hanging wire to use on tiny plaster frames

Post by Not your average framer »

You might have hit up on something a bit fashionable at the moment! As to the relative cost of making these vs a viable selling price is another issue. Larger plaster mirror frames appear to be both big business and really rather profitable. How do you intend to fix the glass and backs in to the frames? Solve this issues and I think you are well on the way. It sounds quite interesting, because it a bit different, perhaps you would like to post some pictures at some point.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer