Get help and framing advice from the framing community
thecreative
Organisation: The Creative Art Company
Interests: art
photography
renovation

Glass v acrylic / P&P

Post by thecreative »

I'm going to be selling some of my recent artwork shortly but I'm a little concerned about the glass and P&P as I have had a few pieces I've bought myself in the past arrive damaged.

Larger pieces are being mounted on acm and framed without glass, smaller pieces mainly 400mm x 500mm and possibly the odd 500mm x 700mm are the issue.

Would it be prudent to substitute the glazing for a 2mm acrylic (I only have enough space in the rebate for 2mm unless I change the double mount to single)? Can you advise if this would be a risk due to the surface scratching more easily than glass/how best to clean it? Is it optically clear and worth me spending extra on or would it be cheaper to keep the glazing and package it more substantially??

As ever I don't have a big budget, I'm trying to keep the customer cost down for now but cant risk my work arriving damaged, firstly to avid looking unprofessional but mainly as it would be difficult to replicate a second time.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Glass v acrylic / P&P

Post by pramsay13 »

I used to send out frames and around half got broken (not just the glass) so I just don't do it anymore.
Acrylic is certainly better in that it won't get broken and it shouldn't get scratched if you package it properly, but I reckon people associate acrylic with cheaper framing.
I'm not sure what ACM is but if the larger ones are being sent without glass why not do the same for the smaller pieces.
Or sell them mounted but unframed.