Strut backs

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Strut backs

Post by StevenG »

received_184686017030052.jpeg
Hi guys

I'm looking to source some strut backs similar to the attached image. Does anyone have any pointers? :)

Actually I've just noticed those frames have that little channel cut out, I don't need the backs to suit a standard frame. Basically, I've got about 100 ready mades to make for a retail outlet & I need something decent looking. I've shown them the plain MDF ones that are fairly easily found but they'd prefer something more 'finished' looking.

Cheers
Steven
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Strut backs

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Steven,

I have the same problem, it seen that really decent quality strut back have ceased to be availble anymore. I'm planing to make my own, since I can't find what I want elsewhere. However there are a few problems, They do need to be instantly recognised as somethig of real quality, quick, simple and easy to make, nice and strong, but not un-necessarily expensive either. Mine will probably be made from spray painted 2'5mm MDF and using clips and bars which I have already got a large stock of together which the necessary split rivets.

I will cut the rectangular pieces of MDF to size of my wall mounted cutter and cutter the rear struts to size using my band saw, which does not thrown the saw dust around. This cut and drilled pieces of MDF will then be srayed with rattle cans. I am not expecting such strut backs to be all that cheap to make, so they will need to be priced accordingly and they will of course only be supplied as made to order! I don't think that these will look right with just flexi tabs, so something much superior will need to be used, on the rear of the frame will need to be sealed with tape and made to look really impressive! A quality passe partout sealing tape in an attractive colour might work well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies - Mark, your idea sounds interesting but not really an option for me as I'd need 100's.

I've send an enquiry to the other company - hopefully things will work out from that lead. :)

Thanks again
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't really to do 100's anymore, but the odd one, or two is a different matter!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer