Cross / Support bar required?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RichTee
Organisation: none
Interests: Framing & Photography

Cross / Support bar required?

Post by RichTee »

Hello board,

I'm justing finishing two frames for portraits and they are the largest I've done to date, and I'm considering if they will need some form of bracing / cross bar to support?

They are 36.5" by 46.5" on the outside and in portrait aspect. The frame material is Rose and Hollis A147 in Obeche. The A147 moulding although flatish in profile is quite chunky.

Looking up on internet tends to give products and advice on the canvas frame rather than the frame it hangs in so seeking if there some rule of thumb or other guidance someone could offer?

Thanks,
Rich
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: Cross / Support bar required?

Post by fusionframer »

Hi Rich,

Used that exact moulding for bigger frames than that and no bracing needed. The bracing is normally for stretchers and that would require bracing, but that frame will be absolutely fine.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Post by fitz »

RichTee wrote: Sat 31 Jul, 2021 1:31 pm Hello board,

I'm justing finishing two frames for portraits and they are the largest I've done to date, and I'm considering if they will need some form of bracing / cross bar to support?

They are 36.5" by 46.5" on the outside and in portrait aspect. The frame material is Rose and Hollis A147 in Obeche. The A147 moulding although flatish in profile is quite chunky.

Looking up on internet tends to give products and advice on the canvas frame rather than the frame it hangs in so seeking if there some rule of thumb or other guidance someone could offer?

Thanks,
Rich

Can I ask what finish you applied to the bare wood moulding?
RichTee
Organisation: none
Interests: Framing & Photography

Post by RichTee »

Hi Nick, many thanks - good to know.

Fitz - see link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15295

My version;
Robersons Gesso base
Van Dyke Brown
Plaka Red
Plaka Black (slight wearing through)
Liberon Black Bison Wax

Kindly instructed by prospero, Framemaker Richard and Jamesnkr in above link. The method gives an excellent finish and has become a bit of a go to for my better half's paintings.