Does anyone have experience of using General Finishes paints and finishes?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Does anyone have experience of using General Finishes paints and finishes?

Post by Not your average framer »

I looking at some of the General Finishes range of paints, glazes and finishes. Costs of some of my existing pants and finishing materials have been becomng less cost effective of late and I am thinking of changing some of the paints, which I now use to offset my increase material cost a little. I have never tried General Finishes before, so they are currently a bit of an unknown as far as quality, performance and usage a concerned and I wonder if anyone can offer any feedback, or comments.

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: Does anyone have experience of using General Finishes paints and finishes?

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I use the General Finishes White and Black. They are very good quality paints that dry to a very durable solid finish. I have one particular client that demands a very flat solid finish that does not scratch or chip easily. I sand between coats, and then use 1000 grit and Renaissance wax after 24 hours drying to get a final finish

If I am doing subtle finishes or blending I prefer chalk paints as that dry quicker and are cheaper
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Does anyone have experience of using General Finishes paints and finishes?

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks Jeremy,

I like chalk paints too, I mix them with Amsterdam acrylic paints to get the advantage of chalk paints, plus some extra durabilty from adding a thick and durable acrylic as well. I like to use chalk paint match pots, but the match pots have got a lot smaller and the price for the match mots is substantially more, inspite of only half the paint. So it's either only a 100ml match pot, or a 2.5 litre tin, which spoils before I get to use it all, this is why I'm thinking about the General Finishes milk paint.

I still like the match pots, but not at the new excessive price. The match pots have some really nice colours and shades, but I don't really want 2.5 litres of a colour, which I only use occasionally. I'm thinking that it might be time to switch to something else. I also want to reduce my range of colours which I stock as I have currently got too many pots of paint and less storage space, now that I'm in a much smaller shop.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer