morso blade alignment

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
rob65
Organisation: back in the frame
Interests: football music

morso blade alignment

Post by rob65 »

hi guys,im new to the forum and need a bit of help on my morso blades.basically i've had them back from the sharpeners and they now won,t come together on the front edge there fine when finger tight but as soon as i tighten the nuts a gap appears at the bottom edge.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: morso blade alignment

Post by Justintime »

It can take quite a few go's to get it right. Keep persevering. Imagine that when you tighten the left blade it can pull the blade back, likewise tightening the right blade can push it forward. I can recommend some kevlar gloves, which allows you to hold the blades and makes micro adjustments, when they're almost tightened.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
rob65

Post by rob65 »

hi justintime thanks for the reply i did take a pic but not sure how to upload it it seems that when the blades sit level at the top and flush then the blades part on the v edge wasn't sure if it was anything to do with the way they had been sharpened.
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

If they've been hollow ground properly and have plenty of life left in them, there shouldn't be a problem that you can't fix. If you can't, it may be time to buy a new pair. Peter at Framers Equipment offered me the best price on a new pair.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

I immediately thought of a Wessex moulding ID when I saw your username. I must get out more.

Can't help with your query but welcome to the forum anyway.
rob65

Post by rob65 »

yes i know peter seen him a few times for various items i'll give him a call tomorrow thanks for your help i'll give it another go in the morning myself first .
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Its more important obvs that they marry up at the cutting point than the top of the blades. Did you check the numbers/dates on the blades? That you actually got both of your blades back? When new theyshould be 75 or 78mm(?) long, when they get below a certain length they are more difficult to work with. A new pair sorted out all my morso issues instantly! Good luck.
Justin George GCF(APF)
rob65

Post by rob65 »

Hi yes i've checked the blades and both came back as sent i'll give it another go today thanks for your help .
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I've just looked at the blades on my Morso (which is cutting perfectly) and they are not quite level at the top, but the front edge is perfect.

My method for changing them is to just put the top and middle bolts in on both sides, leaving them loose. Depress the pedal enough to cover the bottom bolt holes, and then tighten the middle bolts just enough so the bolts wont hit the bottom blades, depress the blades further, this brings them into line, tighten the top bolts, lift the pedal and tighten the middle bolts. Test by cutting a piece of paper. If all is perfect, put the bottom bolts in and tighten. Test again with paper.

If they are not sitting straight, then there could be some dirt underneath the blades.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
rob65

Post by rob65 »

It seems the problem I'm getting is when the blades sit flush to the block they open up along the front edge just won't stay together .
rob65

Post by rob65 »

All done now many thanks again for everyone's help happy framer again 😀