Framing an antique letter

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
ftwo
Organisation: Coast Gallery
Interests: Framing, art, music

Framing an antique letter

Post by ftwo »

Hi everyone,

I have a small problem which I wish to get advice from if anyone would be willing to help with! :D

I have an antique letter that I am trying to frame and I want for it to be floated. How would I be able to attach the letter without damaging it over time? I'm told that tape might damage it over time.

Thank you in advance!
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Framing an antique letter

Post by Justintime »

We do pretty much all of our floating using the hedgehog method. The weight of the paper will determine the weight of the acid free gummed paper tape for hinging. It will be totally reversible and if you use the right amount of moisture on the tape, shouldn't leave a mark.
Alternatively, you could platform mount it and not need any fixings at all, keeping it in its original condition.
For the hedgehog hinging technique have a look at PUB047. https://www.lionpic.co.uk/info-store?id=63
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Framing an antique letter

Post by Not your average framer »

Hedgehog method is idea! I have framed items like letters using a slight variation on the hedgehog method, where the letter is attached to something like a fall out from cutting a mount, but it sits above another piece of mount board behind and if the is enough clear space at the cormers of the letter then wrap across the corners with blue pieces of polyester ribbon.just holding the corners in place. This not only looks really classy, but a reasonably dark blue does not tend to fade as time go by.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer