Extra thick mountboard

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Extra thick mountboard

Post by fitz »

Hi, I have a customer who wants extra thick mountboard for prints (2.4 or thicker). I have a few limited options for thick board from the Daler range that aren’t fitting the bill. Can anyone advise of a source for extra thick mountboard? I’ve been searching without success. Many thanks.
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Re: Extra thick mountboard

Post by China shop »

Hi, Larson Juhl, Lion, Centrado, all do thicker boards. 2.4mm and 3mm and possibly more.
Roger
fitz

Post by fitz »

Thanks Roger. Not sure if there is much of a colour selection in these. My customer is looking for a brighter white than I can find. I’ll keep looking though. 👍👍
fitz

Post by fitz »

Just to update I managed to arrange a supply of chevrons in the 2400 and 3500 range direct from Larson Juhl. Thanks again
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

You won't find much brighter than the LJ Bright White!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't know, but there is not much call for thicker mountboard in my town. Things which look to modern are not usually what people like around here. Anything which was popular in the 1950's is still popular around here. I''ve never been able to figure it out. Exeter is only 15 to 20 miles away and everything is bang up to date there. Bovey Tracey likes to pretend to be up to date, not with a lot of enthusiam. It's very largely a place where people come live when they retire, which can often be good, or bad. Some old people still expecting 1970's prices, but other are happy to pay todays prices.

I'd be very happy to be able to sell thicker mountboard here, but how to make it happen is another matter!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fitz

Post by fitz »

Thanks everyone. It’s actually a bit of a pain changing the cutter from standard board to the thicker board, blade depth etc. However what customer wants customer gets😳😳
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Then buy a second blade holder and keep it for the thicker board.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Camden Frames
Organisation: Camden Frames
Interests: Framing, U3A, DIY

Post by Camden Frames »

Good Afternoon,
I use Crescent 'Rag Mat' which is 2mm thick, if that is any help?
Patrick Thomson
Camden Frames
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

2mm thick mountboard produces quite noticably wider cut bevels that the usual 1.4mm bevels. Visually the difference in these bevels in quite considerable. Making your own deep wrapped bevel accents is something well worth thinking about in these difficult days of not all things being easily available from stock. Gluing mountboard scraps together to create thicker boards which can be cut and wrapped to hide the glue line between two pieces of mountboard may turn out to be a useful work around, for many of us when push comes to shove!

A lot of these apparently time consuming processes can become considerably faster with practice, if we are not too discouraged. I suspect that flat wooden slips are going to become another possibiliy for use as mount slips, where deep bevels are required. We are going to be finding other ways of doing many things in these coming days, as things become more difficult. But we will adapt and survive, if that's what it takes. We are all quite individualistic and will find our own solutions to so many difficulties and problems. We will make things work, it's what many of us are already doing!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fitz

Post by fitz »

Larson Juhl sent me, free of charge, their whole range of colours of thicker board chevrons. Brilliant service from them so I now have a wide selection of colours right up to 3500mc . I’ve also been cutting quite a lot of these recently and have been able to quickly adjust the blade cutters and measures on the Keencut to adapt to the change in depth. It’s like everything in life, the more you do something……😊
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Not your average framer wrote: Sun 03 Oct, 2021 6:38 pm I don't know, but there is not much call for thicker mountboard in my town. Things which look to modern are not usually what people like around here. Anything which was popular in the 1950's is still popular around here. I''ve never been able to figure it out. Exeter is only 15 to 20 miles away and everything is bang up to date there. Bovey Tracey likes to pretend to be up to date, not with a lot of enthusiam. It's very largely a place where people come live when they retire, which can often be good, or bad. Some old people still expecting 1970's prices, but other are happy to pay todays prices.

I'd be very happy to be able to sell thicker mountboard here, but how to make it happen is another matter!
We buy Larson Juhl 2.4 board by the pallet, the last one only lasted six weeks or so, and we have sent items mounted with it to Bovey Tracey, in fact our largest market for mounted images in the 2.4 board country wide is Devon, I have a feeling you are missing a trick here Mark.
Not your average framer

That does not surprise me, very much. I have been closed for about three years! Lots of people are buying via the internet these days, but the internet is not really easy for me, it's a long walk to the post office and I need my use my walking aid to get there, which leaves me with no hands to hold the parcels. Selling on the internet can be a hard taskmaster, if you are aiming to complete and dispatch everything on the day, as orders arrive! You can get crazy amounts of orders arrive in just one day. Having had a stroke I would not necessarily be able to cope! It's also more difficult to obtain some materials these days, who knows when out of stock items will come back in stock these days. I also will soon need to be my wifes full time carer, very soon too! Managing to cope with all that is going to be more than enough for me already I think.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

FYI for all of us, through their website the Royal Mail will now collect parcels for a small charge, just like they do for big companies.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer

That's interesting, what hours do you need to be in your shop for them to collect? My future opening times are going to be only for certain days and hours! I may consider selling some items on eBay. At least I will be able to make some things before listing them and this may be easier to manage! Will they still do recorded delivery, if they collect?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

It may vary in your area, but here we book and pay online, print and fix the postage. When postie delivers our post he scans the package and off it goes.
Now...back to thick mountboard... :)
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer

Thanks Justin.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Yeah, we use a courier who collects from the shop, customers know these are made up as required so can take up to a week.
Most galleries we supply get their orders between 3 and 7 days but it does depend on how busy things are.
Not your average framer

Maybe I will think about doing something similar. Making impressive gallery stle frames from stacked mouldings is very much my thing and I get quite a buzz out of doing it. It's often just a basic mouldings, with a bit of shape to it on the inside and the outside with something to fill up the space in between and a bit of hand finishing and then it's job done! I ready like making oversized frame profiles from stacked mouldings, it's a great way of making really impressive frames from a minimal cost of materials. Keeping the material cost down is a big part of ensuring that I can make a worthwhile profit from such frames.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer