Small ready made frames.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jon_Brooke
Organisation: Picture Frame Workshop
Interests: Running

Small ready made frames.

Post by Jon_Brooke »

At the risk of being drummed out of the forum....

I occasionally get people coming into the shop asking for small ready made frames for photos - A5, 7x5, 6x4 etc.

I don't currently have any of these in stock and I don't have the time or inclination to make them, but it seems a shame to turn away their money.

Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality small standard sized frames in simple natural wood or black mouldings?

Thanks

Jon
prospero

Re: Small ready made frames.

Post by prospero »

You have to balance the lost sales with the amount of capital tied up in stock that you will never sell. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bobble
Organisation: Frameworks
Interests: Picture framing.

Post by Bobble »

Before retirement, I used The Ready Made Picture Frame Company in Hampshire for over a decade. They were reliable, reasonably priced and delivered smothered in (reusable) bubble wrap. Any faults or breakages easily credited, so nice people to deal with. I didn't have the time to make 'em so when marked up, it was a win, win situation for me. Customers and their loyalty hopefully retained. Others will have a different view of bespoke framing only.
Experience gained then suggested best sellers were black, white & oak.
Jon_Brooke

Post by Jon_Brooke »

Thanks both.

Just looked at the Ready Made Picture Frame Company and although the product looks about right the minimum order would be around 30-40 frames which is more than I want.

Really I only need about 15-20.

Any other suggestions?
Jon_Brooke

Post by Jon_Brooke »

I'm more in line with Bobbie's thinking.

I spend most of my time making bespoke frames. I'm a one man operation and I've got plenty of orders to keep me busy with profitable jobs. I have a workshop that is based in a High St shop location and I also make a few quid from using my window space and retailing some cards and prints.

What I am talking about is people who walk in off the street and just want to get a simple snapshot framed, but who don't want to wait for my current 4-6 week lead-time, or spend a lot of money.

I think I could easily sell these people a £20 frame.

It's not worth me making frames like that for stock, even using "free" materials as I do not have time to kill.

If I could buy some slightly better quality than the very cheap mass retail type frames for under a tenner each then I'd be happy to keep a few in stock, to keep my customers happy and make a reasonable margin on the sale.

I'd just like to know if anyone has any recommendations.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Neilson sell some nice ready made frames, not sure on the price though.

We also do not have time to fanny around with off cuts, it is more cost effective for us to bin them, time is money.
Jon_Brooke

Post by Jon_Brooke »

Thanks for further suggestions - will check these out later.