Finding suitable backboards and struts

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Finding suitable backboards and struts

Post by daveym »

Im not a framer but more of an artist that enjoys working with plaster. In recent weeks I've cast a few plaster frames. My main issues was finding custom backboard and struts for these as I have very irregular sizes to standard frames on the high Street.

Im now just wanting to make smaller standard sized plaster frames for some of my small prints so for example a frame measuring 12x14cm. The backboards dont require an opening for a photo as once the print has been inserted it can be sealed. Therefore I'm looking for backboard/struts that I can just glue onto the back of the plaster. Ideally I wanted black board board with rounded corners but something that looked a little more quality than standard mdf, so maybe a velvet or material covering.

I've read some recent posts concerning struts and people saying that they are harder to come by these days and people are making their own. I was wondering if this was more for those that had openings on the back and maybe standard backboards and struts might be easier to source.

I have a few custom and standard sized frames that are all relatively small that I will require struts for. Can anyone recommend any manufacturers that are able to cut according to my sizes and that might be able to offer additional services such as velvet.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Finding suitable backboards and struts

Post by Not your average framer »

This not a new situation, availability of different types and sizes of backing boards has been problematic for quite a long times now. Adequate quality has been an issue for many of us as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer