Frames for LP covers

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Frames for LP covers

Post by Jag62 »

Hi,

A customer has asked me to produce several frames to hold album covers. They want a a narrow deep frame (10mm wide x 30mm deep) and quick release back to allow easy change of album covers. I thought this would be relatively easy and would use turn buttons but I also need to allow for different depth of albums (e.g. folding / double albums / etc). The next challenge is with such a narrow frame there is little to attach hanging hardware to and the mdf backing will likely be too recessed to use for hanging. Anyone have any ideas / solutions please ?

Many thanks,

Neil
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Frames for LP covers

Post by Justintime »

I did one of these recently, I stained/painted a Rose and Hollis SW3850 Oak with a small sawtooth hanger on the top. Customer left me with 2 album covers to size it and of course they were different sizes. Had to warn him that unless we put in a fillet/slip in the front, there was no guarantee that all his albums would fit in it... It was also one of those "cheap as possible" jobs.. :roll:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Post by Jag62 »

Hi Justin,

Thanks. I too spotted that the LP covers aren't a standard size so have just allowed for the widest one in my collection. This, as you say, then causes problems with the narrower ones whose edges will likely show. My current thinking for the quick release back is to add a 10mm strip of wood to top rear of frame that will allow a mdf backing to tuck up behind & then secure bottom of backing with turn buttons. I'll then fit saw toothhangers to the widened top. Out of interest what did you charge per frame ?

Regards,

Neil
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Come to think of it, I used flat canvas offsets on the back so I must have used a shallower moulding, probably sw2724 oak.
With an R&H 1406 spacer, float glass, mdf. About £55.
Went rapidly from a potentially interesting project to a budget in and out job who I'll never see again, but may get a referral or two from it, hopefully bigger spenders! :?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would be quite tempted to fit the LP cover behind a mount with a sink mount behind to retain the LP cover in postion, while retaining the the LP in to the sink mount with a piece of foam board behind it and using the backing board to press this piece of foam board forward. Turn buttons and kidney places are a neat way to retain the backing board. Justin's suggestion of using canvas off sets is a good idea as well. Presentation wise this would look really nice as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer