Can anyone point me in the direction of this moulding please?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jill Shea
Organisation: Framed of Frog Lane
Interests: Picture framing, textile work and mixed media art

Can anyone point me in the direction of this moulding please?

Post by Jill Shea »

Any tips gratefully received 😊🙏

(Hopefully image attached 🤞)
Attachments
2B1B4FF1-3FC8-4F3A-B537-8CD562590079.jpeg
01246370-5B35-46D0-9A10-0BDA02FA9E27.jpeg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Can anyone point me in the direction of this moulding please?

Post by Not your average framer »

It looks like it might be something like a St Ives type of frame. These are often frabicated by stacking mouldings, or pieces of wood together to create the shaped profile and then hand finished by painting.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jill Shea

Post by Jill Shea »

Thanks for this 😊. When you say St Ives frame ,is that a particular style or a brand name? (Sorry - I haven’t come across that name.)
Jill Shea

Post by Jill Shea »

Ah, have just found it on Lion’s website. I see St Ives is the style of frame - sorry to be a bit dim. I’ve seen these but didn’t know their name.

Thanks again 🙏
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

It is often more profitable to fabricate the frame yourself, than but a completed profiles moulding from a supplier. They are often produced by joining mouldings, or strip wood fillets from suppliers Like Rose and Hollis and gluing them together. St Ives frames started as a cheap way of St Ives artists making their own frames and saving money by doing so. They really cheap to make and I've always made my own. It's not actually difficult to do! Hopefully, someone can put up some photos and suggestions of how they have made them. I never taken any photos, so I got nothing to show you.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
BaBaZa
Organisation: http://www.mainlinemouldings.com
Interests: Pubs

Post by BaBaZa »

Ricky @ Mainline Mouldings Ltd

Twitter #MainlinePolcore
Jill Shea

Post by Jill Shea »

So many thanks for these suggestions. Will have a go with Rose & Hollis tray frame and 3/4in spacer. :)

Fingers crossed!
Not your average framer

You'll be fine! After your first one, any others will be easy!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I make a lot of these. Very popular.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer

I would not say that I have made a lot of these as the true St Ives frames have the inner and outer mouldings as of rectangular profiles, but I have made many frames using the same technique using shaped profile moulding instead and as a result they have not all been true St Ives frames. It is a very versatile technique, if that's how you want to use it. It is even possible to have the inner moulding projecting further forward than the outer moulding, to create somethng along the lines of a cassetta moulding. Lots of stacked moulding frames are just variations on this same idea. A lot of frame profiles used a large profiles for gallery type frames are made with a lots more shape to them by adding mouldings which provide more shape and style, but this does not mean that they are costing any more to produce.

The basic ideas and techniques used are derived from the desire to produce larger profile frames which do not require unnecessary levels of material costs. I'm talking about variations on the same techniques. It's well worth thinking about this! Making stunning and imposing frames, without resorting to excessive expense should have a lot going for it in these current and difficult times. Why buy large expensive mouldings at high cost, when you can make something at least as stunning from considerably less? I am thinking that this should be striking a reasonance with some of our members right now. Producing really stunning gallery frames, which look amazing for mere peanuts will surely interest some of our members. Lots framers used to do this at one time, but it has dropped off the radar for many of our modern day framers. Why is this?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Hi Jill here's a little background to the frame style:
https://ashcraftframing.wordpress.com/2 ... ves-frame/
As far as the comment about it being more profitable to make the frame yourself, that may be true in terms of charging for your labour v's buying it in ready to cut and join but I think it depends how much work you have in at the time and the quality of finish that you require. My experience is that the time it takes me to make one from scratch, fill and sand it ready to paint I could be spending on a far more profitable job. I have tried both ways and my customers appear equally happy with both results.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer

I fit things together so any gaps a very slight and easily disappear with a couple of coats of thick acrylic paint mixed with thick chalky emulsion. Spending lots of time sanding and filling is a real big problem for me since my stroke, so I avoid as much of it as I can. Sometimes I will apply filler from a tube with my finger, but that's it. If I can do it so can you!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jill Shea

Post by Jill Shea »

Thanks everyone for these very helpful comments.