Get help and framing advice from the framing community
thecreative
Organisation: The Creative Art Company
Interests: art
photography
renovation

Positionable Mounting Adhesive advice

Post by thecreative »

Hi all, as ive mentioned in the past I'm pva mounting 370gms inkjet canvas to acm panels, this is fine for my original pieces as its getting multiple layers of paint etc.. on top so doesnt need to be too clean to start off.

I'm hoping to do a print run of hand embellished work however the pva will be too messy and I would practically end up doing each job again, Ive been looking at Positionable Mounting Adhesive (PMA Adhesive) its quite expensive for a 610mm roll but may be a cleaner and quicker solution in the long run?

Can anyone advise if this is practical to use with just a large cutting matt and a hand roller as I don't have any fancy kit (or space in the studio for it)

Will it lay flat a 400x 500 or ultimately a 500 x 700 370gms canvas?

Any advice on the most cost effective place to purchase?

Any other options I'm missing?

Thanks as always the forum is invaluable to those of us with considerably less knowledge !
prospero

Re: Positionable Mounting Adhesive advice

Post by prospero »

Bit of a dilemma. The best way is to hot mount it, but you need a press. :roll:

I wouldn't reccomend PMA as it is Pressure Sensitive. In practice, that means you have to apply a great
deal of even pressure to ensure a reliable bond. A roller-type mounting machine would be needed.
If you have to invest in a roller-mounter then you may as well get a vacuum press.
Using a hand roller won't fix it long-term. Same goes for Spray adhesives. They are temporary methods at best.

In your present state I would stick (no pun...) to PVA. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Why are you using ACM panels. You can't use PVA to glue to ACM panels, becaue PVA needs a porous surface to sink to. PVA is cheap and easy to use, it also does not require any special equipment, or special materials!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
thecreative
Organisation: The Creative Art Company
Interests: art
photography
renovation

Post by thecreative »

PVA works fine