Framing a relief map

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Framing a relief map

Post by Rainbow »

A customer has asked if I can frame a relief map, without glass. It's about 1m square. If it was a poster, I'd probably roller it on to a self-adhesive board, but obviously I can't do that with a relief map. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it has a flat border round it, but maybe only about 0.5" - 1". I'm seeing it this afternoon. Any advice would be appreciated!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Framing a relief map

Post by Not your average framer »

Relief maps are often not square round the edges. I'm not very keen on doing them. Some are made for vacuum formed plastic and these have a limited useful life. With age the plastic becomes brittle and develops stresses causing the edges to go out of square even more. Not great fun to do, I think! The very thin plastic does not like being hung in a warm place.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

They don't make great maps anyway, as the map is printed while the plastic is flat and the map is vacuum formed to show the contours afterwards, so the plastic stretches as it takes shape and the exact alignment of the map details to the contours is not very precise.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I would consider setting it back with a spacer inside the rebate. If it flexes then maybe glue to a firm substrate, mdf?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We've got one of Dartmoor in at the moment. After discussion with the customer, we're framing it in a tray frame so that it is set back but they can still touch the surface of the map itself. We are bonding it to the frame with double sided foam tape. The depth of the frame will offer some protection.

They are anticipating having to replace it at some point down the line as the surface gets scuffed and faded by people touching it and saying "I've climbed that Tor" or tracing walking routes on it.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Many thanks for all this help, much appreciated. :)