Large poster query

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Large poster query

Post by fitz »

Hi. Just looking for some advice on the best way to mount a very flimsy poster. I would generally cold mount posters but this one is wider than my cold roller laminator will accept. I do not have a hot press option unfortunately. My roll of cold mount adhesive paper isn’t wide enough and I do not want to join two pieces for fear of getting a line showing through the poster as it is so thin. I’ve just managed to order up a self adhesive board which indicates that the adhesive bonds at 65 degrees. Are there options to use an external heat source to activate this such as a hair dryer? TIA👍
prospero

Re: Large poster query

Post by prospero »

I think the hair dryer idea is a no-goer as you would need the heat combining with pressure to get a firm bond.
And you would never be able to maintain the heat evenly over the whole area. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
fitz

Post by fitz »

Thanks prospero. Point duly noted 👍
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I've used a local sign company in the past, they have a full size cold roller. Only problem was that even with a discount they knew how to charge! Bit like going to a picture framers!! :lol:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

prospero wrote: Wed 08 Dec, 2021 10:47 am I think the hair dryer idea is a no-goer as you would need the heat combining with pressure to get a firm bond.
And you would never be able to maintain the heat evenly over the whole area. :?
I've been doing it for years, it actually very tough and durable!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fitz

Post by fitz »

Interesting Mark. Can you please describe the process you use? I was thinking about a large brayer roller? What about a flat iron over a piece of pulp type paper? Thanks for responses. Much appreciated.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I have not been using a hair drier, when I talk about a hot air heat gun! It is a hot air paint stripper gun! I don't think that a hair drier is very likely to be any good at all for this purpose at all. I also don't see what difference clamping it under pressure in going to make. There are some solvent like substance in both the shellac and also in the danish oil, the hot air gun is just causing these to evaporate and causing what left behind to set solid as it cools. It's not magic and it's not rocket science, it's just causing some of what is making it still to evaporate and go away. I just like to keep it quick, simple and easy.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

That’s where the confusion has arisen Mark. This is a thread about bonding a poster to a self adhesive board - not the thread about finishing oils.

Posters and hot air guns are definitely not a good mix!!
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
prospero

Post by prospero »

Mark. You have confused me greatly. Are you saying you have successfully mounted a poster using a hot air gun? :shock:

If I was in the situation of the OP I would farm it out to someone with a bigger press. :P

** This is when I dig out my olde Hard Bed press so I could mount it in bites. I can go up to about 50" wide and as long as I like,
space withstanding. I try not to do this however as it means rearranging to whole workshop. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

Hi Peter,

No, I don't know whats happened here. I thought I was replying to something esle on another thread, so ignore me and all I said.

Oddly enough the very earliest dry mounting techniques, did in fact use a shellac based adhesive and the heated presses were heated with gas burners in those days, but I don't think that we want to go back to the techniques of those days. Perish the thought!

I have had a lot of people from the NHS and social services, doing this in my flat, preparing for my wife to come home from the care facility where they have been treating her and I keep getting interupted.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer