Reveal frame, then took on the warp of the canvas board

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
sarah1
Organisation: nobusinessyet
Interests: Art, cooking and pets.

Reveal frame, then took on the warp of the canvas board

Post by sarah1 »

I framed a canvas board that was stuck to pine around the edges. When laid flat down it was flat and looked fine. As soon as you stood it up the canvas warped - top corner going the other way from the other top corner. I thought framing it would sort it but because I use obeche it's taken on the warp. Any ideas on how to fix this? The painting took ages to frame as it wasn't square so had to build the frame around it, then not allow one corner to meet but slide down and I sanded off the point. So much work and now for it to take on the warp!!
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Reveal frame, then took on the warp of the canvas board

Post by Rainbow »

I framed a canvas board recently that was so warped that it was actually concave. The way I dealt with it was to build up all round it with rigid foamboard, until the foamboard was level with the highest point. The mount then rested flat on the foamboard in order to cover the edges of the canvas board in the normal way. I made sure the mount covered enough of the edges that you couldn't see the foamboard packing. I don't know if this is the accepted way of dealing with a concave canvas board but it worked for me.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Hi Sarah

It sounds as though you need beefier materials to force it flat.

Here's a couple of ideas that may work;

1) You mention that it is glued onto pine. Could you put a sheet of plywood behind it and screw through to the pine on the canvas board or the frame to pull it flat? It would obviously have to be thick enough to overcome the warp.

2) Perhaps you could stack another, more substantial frame around your first frame, or re-frame in something stronger.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Forcing the the combined painting and Pine board flat is not a satisfactory long term solution as it will introduce stresses into the painting and you can not be sure what effect those stresses with have upon the long term condition of the painting. I'm not saying that the stresses will cause stress induced failures of the surface of the painting, but it is a reasonably possible risk. For this reason, I am not suggesting that it is avisable to add any extra stress by attempting to force the painting to be flat within the frame by means of force, as you never know what will happen as a result of doing this.

Minimising any obvious visual signs of this warped painting is probably easiest to accomplish with this painting set back within a deep box frame and the painting secured from behind onto a specially shaped support, which will allow the paint to be held in place in an unstressed state a small gap around the painting for cosmetic purposes like around a canvas framed insine a tray frame, should helpful to conceal the warped state of the painting. Painting the inside of the gap black will give that depth effect like a painting mounted in a tray frame.

Using deep spacers inside the box frame, which are also painted black to match, will enable you to still be able to glaze the front of the frame with the glazing clear of the painting. This is just one possible suggestion, but I'm guessing that other forum members will be able to make other appropriate suggestions of their own as well!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
sarah1
Organisation: nobusinessyet
Interests: Art, cooking and pets.

Post by sarah1 »

Absolute incredible responses. I also thought about attaching it to ply. Thank you for stressing that there may be long term damage so i will put it to the person who owns the piece. I don't know how to box frame!!!! My trainer retired! However, that's a great solution for future. I don't feel like reframing it as it was not square so quite difficult to fit in a reveal frame. Thanks for your help! One more thing though, which I found really weird. When I placed the canvas board down with the painting flat on the floor (on carpet) it was completely flat but when I raised it that was when it went warped. This is weird, right? I can't work it out.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Just to chuck in my fourpenneth................. :D

Artists tend to pay little heed to the grounds they use and use things that are not really appropriate. Usually 'Happy Dabblers' but
sometimes professionals. Fixing canvas to a heavy board might seem a good idea, but they more than likely will warp and once warped
they are nigh-on impossible to flatten. It not a good idea to try.

Centuries ago the idea of painting on canvas stretched over a frame came into common use. It never really has been improved upon.
They are setup is light in weight and can be dismantled. If the stretchers warp then it can easily be fixed with a new set. Not so with boards
and you then have a problem which is classed as restoration. The artist's problem becomes the framer's problem. People still grab a huge
board and paint on it and expect the framer to wave the magic wand.

Small canvas boards are popular and these are generally weak to flatten out in a frame, but anything thicker than about 3mm will fight back.
Canvas boards are intended for sketches and workouts are really not meant for 'finished' work. Small ones are usually sort-of OK but big ones
should have stepped up to stretched canvas.

Moan over. Have a nice day. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About