Is it worth setting up or buying from a supplier

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Is it worth setting up or buying from a supplier

Post by daveym »

I have a couple of ideas for some unusual prints that I'm working on. I have a specific style of frame moulding in mind and only want to work with square frames that are 5x5" and also 10x10". I'm struggling to find any frames suitable and ideally I wanted long term orders of something similar to this particular style. I wondered if there was a supplier out there that had constant access to similar frame mouldings or what the costs would be to start up for someone that has zero idea of framing.

I've looked at videos on YouTube of making the outer frame using a mitre saw. It doesn't look overly complicated. If I were to buy frames from a supplier I actually don't require glass or styrene fronts nor tabs and probably not a backing board. I just want the outer frame made up. I will be attaching my own tabs then was going to stick a rigid piece of cardboard to the back with framers tape.

I'm looking for black and gold frames. The moulding in mind has varying depth levels but starts off deepest on the outside... I dont know the name of this particular style. The frame depth is approx 17mm and Ideally I wanted a rebate depth of 5mm or at least less than 10mm. I'm not too concerned about the frame depth it doesn't have to be identical.

Any ideas on where I could source a supplier or is it best to start up on a small scale with some basic tools. I am lookin to use these frames long term for all my future prints so saving costs on frames would be a bonus as I don't think I could spend too much per frame due to what I forsee the sale price to be of each finished frame.
Attachments
IMG_20220316_123920.jpg
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Is it worth setting up or buying from a supplier

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Wessex do a rim only service and most supplies do a chop service where they cut the moulding to length. Larson Juhl do a routing service when they cut and rout the corners, all you have to do is use the provided wedges to join them. They may be your best bet for that style of moulding.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

How do you currently join the individual moulding lengths to make them into a frame, I think that it may be helpful for us to know this, so that we can choose the best and most appropriate suggestions for you!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Post by daveym »

Thanks for your replies so far. The couple of online suppliers I have contacted will only sell the full frame but they are the low budget suppliers I've come across on ebay and etsy. Strangely they do a more suited moulding than any I've come across elsewhere. I'll have to spend a little more time looking.

I don't join any frame. The image shown is of an old frame that I have and wanted a style close to it. I have no knowledge of framing apart from videos viewed online. I'm a sculptor and have tended to use bought frames but if I'm considering potentially having to order long term of the same frame it's probably best to try and cut costs and do part of the job myself. I would imagine asking someone to cut the required lengths would be best then to join myself.

For a novice, any recommendations on what to use or how to go about what equipment I'd need for simple joining. Is it just a case of approach a company and ask them to cut specific mouldings I see on their website to my required lengths?
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

This is where it gets interesting! Producing your own frames, will involve you obtaining the necesary level of equipment to suit the scale and scope of where you want to take this. So if you what to take steps to start along this path, you will need to make some choice and it will not be helping you for any of us to be trying to make those choices for you. You need to make them for yourself, but they will also need to be informed choices. Not all hobby type equipment is particularly useful, or worth the money either, so ask plenty of questions and pick the good bit of advice from the advice, that you get from asking questions on this forum.

Not everyone will have the same level of detailed knowledge as each other, but each everyone will have some level of their own experience of different things listen carefully and weight up what best fits your objectives. Another important consideration will be you availablity of somewhere to work, space for you stock and how much time that you are intending to make available to do this. It may well be that you can, by picking equipment which will save you time, be able to become more productive in that amount of available time, but more able equipment may cost more and may require more space to house that equipment.

It's a lot to think about and probably it will be some help to you, to create some kind of plan which can be costed and also can be compared with the likely potential for delivering value for money to you in terms of your ability to derive benefit from your set up. This benefit may be in terms of producing saleable product, or just purely for your own enjoyment. It's your choice! try not to rush into this too fast, as there is quite a lot to learn and understand. In addition to this, there is quite a long and potentially steep learning curve, which will limit your ability to be firing on all cylinders from day one.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Speak to a professional supplier, they don’t generally sell via Etsy or EBay.

Lion
Wessex
Larson Juhl
Simon’s

Would be a good place to start.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer

Simons have a good range off bare wood mouldings at sensible prices!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

re: buying or making empty frames. It depends on how many frames you plan to make and sell.
Buying a pre-made empty frame will cost more than length moulding. However, the investment in equipment is not there and you do not have to do the labor for cutting, assembly, QC, maintenance on the equipment, depreciation, and scrap. You have to do a "break even analysis" to determine your go -/- no-go regarding investing in equipment.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer

Yes, I think that is true! This Ukraine vs Russia war has possibly done a lot more damage, than was already caused by the Covid crisis and the future is certainly not easy to predict right now. I intend to be offering some training and some free open day demonstrations to those looking for those who need it in the near future.

Setting up new framing businesses from scratch for those who are new to the business, is likely to be quite difficult and I am starting to think that helping those in need is now becoming important. It is also important that newcomers to framing learn not to be aiming at the bottom end of the market, but to avoid the race to the bottom, where there is nowhere else to go, except out of business.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

It might well be worth coming along to the Guild Weekend Framing Workshops.

Totally free to come along and not too far from London for a day trip. More information on this thread :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20451
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer

Yes, it was certainly a good day, with time well spent when I went along a few years ago!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer