Badges

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Badges

Post by girlfromkent »

Ok wonderful hive mind, I have a customer bringing in 200 badges. I'm not sure yet if they are button badges or pin badges, but assuming they are button badges, the kind with the little bar thing across the back, what would be your go-to way to secure them?

Tips and pics appreciated.

Thanks!
prospero

Re: Badges

Post by prospero »

You could try covering a sheet of foamcore with a suitable velvetty-type fabric and cutting little slot so that the badge
bar (closed) could be pushed into it and locked in place on the back with a small 'bar' of mountboard. A very tedious task.
If you eyeball each badge in place an push down so that it makes a dent, you will have a guide for the cut. Good Luck.

Foamcore is better than mountboard for this application as it is thicker and have a bit of 'give'. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

^^^^What he said ^^^^
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

^^^^What he said ^^^^
Or if you have a CMC let that did it
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I did this frame with around half pin badges and half with the bar across the back.
317339_495455587176929_650794258_n.jpg
For the bar badges I pushed an angled hole where the pin pushes through so it was right through the mountboard but at an angle. Then I would push the badge right into the mountboard so each side was pushed through. If possible I would then close up the pin at the back, or if not just push it closed and tape it in place.

This way the badges are flat on the mountboard rather than sticking up due to the backing.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have been thinking about how you will mount all of these badges correctly orientated. Personally I am thinking that this is quite difficult and fiddly. I am thinking about fixing each badge to a smaller piece of mountboards and taping across the pin, with a durable self adhesive tape, so the badge stays in place and then fixing each smaller piece of mount board in place behind a main multi aperture mount, so that you will be able to adjust the orientation and relative position of each badge to align with each main mount aperture and the other badges.

This is not a very quick and easy procedure, but at least it does allow for repositioning if you don't quite get everything perfectly aligned at the first attempt. This is going to be extremely difficult to work out your labour costs, so that you can quite a worthwhile price in advance. I usually guess-timate prices for something like his. I think that I can confidently say that there is going to be quite a large labour component to producing this and it's not beyond the bound of possibilities that your customer is not going to like the resulting quoted price.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Post by girlfromkent »

Thanks for the replies, all good food for thought.

The customer brought them in today. He's not worried about them lining up, in fact he'd prefer a more randomised look, so I guess that's good. No cmc.

I'm thinking about attaching them to velvet, perhaps with wadding underneath, then stretching that around foamboard, and maybe pushing them in a bit. Or, I was also thinking about covering 3mm foam with self adhesive baize, and securing them from the back with a stitch or two. Any thoughts on that?