I'm looking for ideas for selling a large quantity of frame rims?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I'm looking for ideas for selling a large quantity of frame rims?

Post by Not your average framer »

I have a quite large quantity of frames which were produced during earlier years, when using up left over moulding bits and these were packed away and stored in a fairly large collections of large cardboard boxes. There might be as many as 200 to 300 individual frames of various different shapes and sizes. I don't want them to hang around too long, but these are very nice quantity frames. I have already dumped all the less exciting more "run of the mill" frames. All of these which remain were just too nice to throw away. I have various cut to size smaller glass off-cuts, but larger frames would require cutting up new glass from stock, which is not very helpful.

As a result, I am thinking about re-using the mouling from larger frames to produce smaller frames of various sizes and I am thinking of producing a few 12 inch square frames using some existing unwanted lengths and perhaps put some of these in a mix and match box of frames, where customers can buy certain numbers of frames at a fixed cheap price. The idea is not that they can just but one, two, but I want to shift a decent quantity for a tempting price, which is my primary consideration. The small amount of money will be useful as well. I've no idea how well this idea will work, but hopeful some customers will think there is money to be made selling some of these of eBay, or something like that!

My most urgent requirement is recovering useable shop and workshop space, for these frames, getting money for them is a secondary consideration. Any other helpful ideas will be most welcome!
Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Re: I'm looking for ideas for selling a large quantity of frame rims?

Post by huntvambo »

If you think there is some money to be made selling these on ebay, why not do that yourself?

I think the cost for "customer" to buy, advertise and post is unrealistic.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Yes, I realise that, but I don't want very much for these. I mostly want them gone, but if I can succeed in getting customers to come into the shop for them, I am hoping that the word will get around that I am re-opening the shop and that on certain days of the week that I will be open for business.
Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Why not just leave them as they are, rather than spending more time and effort cutting them down to a smaller size? You are creating more work for yourself on the off-chance that the smaller size will sell, that doesn't seem to make much sense. Particularly as you have so many to deal with.

Why not just sell them as just the rims - if they want glass and backing then they can pay extra to get you to cut that for them?

It is just a nice added extra on top of our regular bespoke work, but we make up stock ready made frames from off-cuts from bespoke jobs. We stopped putting glass and backing in them years ago and they sell as well as they did when we went to the extra effort of putting glass and backing in them. It also gives you the chance to upsell the glass to AR or UV, instead of just using standard float glass.

If you want to use it as a chance to get the word out that the shop will be re-opening, then for when the shop is closed I'd be making up as big a sign as you can fit into your shop window - with the other window full of the frames you want to shift - and a box of them ready for customers to rummage through when your shop is actually open. Be clear that the more they buy, the higher the overall discount - or whatever scheme you have planned.

Then I'd be contacting the local art groups and letting them know you have this special offer on and you're looking forward to welcoming customers back to your shop. II know you haven't got a website yet, so you could get it put on the local Facebook groups, get other people you know who use social media to push it for you as a favour on other platforms, and make sure you claim your Google listing - get that updated and put posts on there to spark some interest.

And if all else fails then huntvambo's suggestion of just putting a box full together and selling it yourself on ebay - where the customer can come and collect from you so you don't need to worry about getting to the Post Office or anything, would seem the other sensible solution to get them out of your way.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer

Thanks Jo,

My brain does not work very well after the stroke and getting set up for eBay, is just too much for me. most of the bigger frames have been on sale before and have not sold, I removed the glass and backing board from these larger frames at a time when the was a shortage of glass and that is how they became frame rims only. I always find that pairs of smaller frames are very easily too sell and I've already got lots of small pieces of glass and backing board off-cuts already cut into standard sizes, so it makes plenty of sense to me.

I desparately need more space and clearing these frames will give me some much needed space. My biggest problem right now is that my brain does not work properly like is used to do and sticking to do things in ways where my brain can still function at a level, where things still work, is still sucesful for me. I've got plenty of smaller sized pieces of glass scraps, for if I need to find any larger pieces, than means cutting them from full sized sheets and this is wasting my money at present.

Most of these larger frame rims are not very upto date moulding styles, but I have a lot more success sell older mouldings as smaller frames, or even pairs of smaller frames. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since many of these older style factory finished moulding were in fashion, but they still sell as smaler frames. I don't mind remaking these frames anyway, as it gives me a change to polish up my skills and try out a few new ideas at the same time.

Jo, you haven't seen me for a very long time and you would probably be quite surprised to see how bad my mobility is! Needing to move around be shop doing things is really good therapy for me and is very helpful in improving my mobility, so there's a good point to all this. I still need to drive myself and do things! The money is not so important, as retaining my fitness and mobility! Sorry, but I'm now a cripple and I need to fight this every day of my life, there is no real alternative to this.
Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Somebody will list them on eBay for you I should think, and split the difference. You just have to provide photos and a description, and post them.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
StyleandSource
Organisation: Style & Source
Interests: Interior Styling

Post by StyleandSource »

Hi Mark I’m interested in all of these frames pls ? Can you call me on 07850764268 thx gayle