Producing deeper than usual deep box frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Producing deeper than usual deep box frames

Post by Not your average framer »

By producing a plywood rear box section, which drops into the back of a frame behind the glass, it is very simple, easy and straight forward to add a lot of extra depth to an ordinary frame, made from a fairly normal frame moulding. I would like to fix the rear section into the rear of the frame using my Fletcher Terry Multi-point gun and Multi-points, but I don't have much idea if these multi-points will work when fired into plywood. As a result, I may be resorting to the old fashioned method of using pilot hole and screw eyes with screws through the eyes of the screw eyes.

It is relatively easy to cut the plywood with a clean unsplittered edge, on a sliding mitre saw by cutting a scoring cut pulling to saw carriage towards you and then making a full depth cut pushing the carriage away from you. My sliding mitre saws capacity for a sliding cut is 14 inches, which is more than adequate for a many of the extra deep box frame sizes which I am likely to be needing to produce. Using this method of producing extra deep box frames, I will be wanting to minimise the level of effort and processes that are involved with producing these to protect my profit margins.

Since the plywood, which I shall be using is faced with a sapele veneer which looks quite presentable, I shall be applying a quick wipe of mahogany tinted Black Bison wax, which I already have in stock and this should look just fine. I am intending to produce the rear plywood box section with two offset layers of plywood for the side panels, which will provide a step for locating the back, with small screws. A narrow slip in front of this plywood box section, behind the glass with obscure the front edges of the plywood from view at low cost and minimum extra cost, or effort.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: Producing deeper than usual deep box frames

Post by fusionframer »

Good grief, i just looked at the price of sapele veneered plywood. It must be cheaper to buy the real thing.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Producing deeper than usual deep box frames

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes Nick,

But my stuff is really cheap, it's common, or garden variety. Probably some sort of construction grade plywood and one side is always better than the other. It comes with the odd lumps and bumps, which I don't usually like to use on anything I am intending to sell. I don't lose much not using the lumpy bits! It's about £1 per square foot! The left overs and off cuts often get used for making jigs, where I don't mind planning down the lumps!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer