Debossing a line around mount aperture

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
framefreakuk
Organisation: FrameFreak
Interests: Picture Framing, art & design, fitness, dogs & cats, children!

Debossing a line around mount aperture

Post by framefreakuk »

Hi, can anyone offer tips on how to add a line by hand (with a debossing tool) around a mount aperture? Do you mark it out first? I'm thinking there must be a clever trick. I have a Keencut Laser 1200 - and have tried using the mat guide as my ruler so that the debossed line follows the exact same proportions as the aperture. But I cannot see where to start the line on the corner and so the lines are not meeting up accurately. Thanks in advance.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Debossing a line around mount aperture

Post by Justintime »

Do you have a Longridge Corner Guage for marking out corners for wash lines? It's the same principle with debossing. Use the guage to mark out the tiniest dot with a very sharp pencil or pin and then rule between points.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, I agree. Just like justin says! And it takes a bit of practice at first.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

If you don't have a gauge, then make your own
Cut the mount, face up on the bench, now place a small piece of card from the corner of the window to the outer corner of the mount, mark the card where these two corners are, now place a mark on the card where you want your debossed line to be on the mount, then mark the mount where this mark is, now move the card to the other corners of the mount, lining up the mark on the card with the corners on the mountand mark where the deboss line is on the mount.
now you can line up the marks on the mount with a straight edge and using the debossing tool, make your line
if you don't have a debossing tool, find a empty ball point pen and use that

Perhaps the Guilds mag 'Art Business Today' , could rerun my artical I wrote back in the 90's about 'Tips and Tricks' on mount decoration,
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Hi Steve

I’ll have a word with the office and see what we can do. Next issue of Art + Framing Today goes to print this week, so we’ve missed that, but I’m sure we can find room in a future issue. 😊

The magazine is available to members as part of their annual subscription and to non-members through a stand-alone magazine subscription. Details here - https://fineart.co.uk/art_and_framing_today.aspx

We’ll have back issues available at the Guild Weekend for those coming along to that on 14th May at the Crowne Plaza, Stratford upon Avon, as part of our framing workshop/demos.

All welcome.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
prospero

Post by prospero »

I don't think I have ever done one, but why not use the mountcutter guide bar and set the stops? :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Tudor Rose wrote: Wed 06 Apr, 2022 8:09 am Hi Steve

I’ll have a word with the office and see what we can do. Next issue of Art + Framing Today goes to print this week, so we’ve missed that, but I’m sure we can find room in a future issue. 😊
Hi Jo
Just a surgestion, as there must be hundreds of artcials writen by framers over the years, some could be re-visted and maybe updated to take into account new techniques and or materials, I can remember some of them , from when I first started in this great craft, (30+ years ago) some of the contributors may no longer be with us, a nice way to remember them
Maybe re-vist one per issue,'Tip down Memory Lane' :giggle: :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

You must be a mind-reader! We had a week of Guild meetings in the office last week and that was one of the items up for discussion. We've got a wealth of technical information and expertise going back over 110 years. We have revisited some articles from the past, but we intend to delve deeper and find more to share with people who weren't around when we published them the first time. Not all of them have stood the test of time of course, but a huge number have done and it is worth reminding people - alongside new articles.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Debossing is less easy to do my hand, than using a CMC. However debossing can look really special with needed to spend anymore money on extra material costs. I had a friend, who used to be known on this forum as "Exeter Famer" and she did lots of debossed lines and V grooves on mounts including multiple spaced Debossed lines and multiple spaced V grooves and I do have to admit that they looked quite amazing and her customers loved them very much.

It is definitely well worth practicing doing this sort of thing and really developng your skills to do this. It works best with smooth faced really nice quality mountboard and it might be worth finding out what other members mountboard preferences are for doing this sort of thing. Personally I like to use a particular budget conservation board to keep the cost down and I mostly produce V grooves as this still works really well on the budget conservation boards, without needing to be to fussy about paying extra for better boards. I don't have a CMC and cut all my mounts on a manual mountcutter.

I'm attepting to sell more items out of the shop windows as the summer approaches and that little extra bit, as far as presentation has often been really beneficial in the past, to securing impulse sales from passing potential customers. Needless to say selling the same volume of items as before this crisis, is prehaps being a bot overhopeful, but that does not stop me trying. The way that I figure things, I am thinking what have I got to lose!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
framefreakuk
Organisation: FrameFreak
Interests: Picture Framing, art & design, fitness, dogs & cats, children!

Post by framefreakuk »

Thanks all, so many helpful suggestions. I will get practising!