Worried about the weight

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Worried about the weight

Post by Not your average framer »

Tongue and groove might be a bit ratty, as you put it, but we have still got to make a living, so this is perhaps a sensible possibility in these difficult times and perhaps useful for other uses as well. I'm not greatly troubled about cutting up cheaper pieces of wood for alternative uses other than to normally intended use. I'm thinking particularly about those with smaller businesses and new start up businesses facing these more difficult times.

If tongue and groove wood is better value for money and can easily be adapted to other uses which will help at least some of us, I think that it is a good thing! Do you use it, for any other uses connected to picture framing?
thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Perhaps tongue and grooved is not particularly thick, but maybe one possible use is to cut it up to make things like french cleats for thin frames as are often used for framing large posters in skinny frames. Just a wild idea.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Has anyone checked out the price of Simons moulding number 000J/0010, It is nothing particularly special, but perhaps quite useful as a value for money pine moulding to cut up to make other things, such as makeshift sub-frames and the like. I hardly ever use it myself, but it may be useful to some of use as just a basic cheap pine moulding, which perhaps can be repurposed for other uses.

I've never really worked out how it compares with stripwood from local suppliers, but I'm not especially good mobility wise and being able to get some basic and hopefully usable pine without needing to go anywhere to get it, is quite an attractive option for me. Up until now, I usually can get by, using moulding off cuts and scraps, but maybe that is not always going to be a good option for me as time goes on.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Not your average framer wrote: Thu 14 Apr, 2022 10:31 am

If tongue and groove wood is better value for money and can easily be adapted to other uses which will help at least some of us, I think that it is a good thing! Do you use it, for any other uses connected to picture framing?
thanks,
Mark.
I boxed in the pipework in my downstairs loo with it. :lol:

I only used it on the subframe as it was a good (only) option for an 'off the shelf' board 8mm thick.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

I think that it was an inspired choice and will inspire many others, who will find this a good source of affordable and easily usable wood for various uses in framing. A really great idea, I think!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer