is it worth trying to re-purpose some narrow mahogany frames?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

is it worth trying to re-purpose some narrow mahogany frames?

Post by Not your average framer »

I have a large quantity of quite narrow ornamented mahogany frames and I have being thinking about re-purposing the to use them up. The original came from Magnolia Mouldings and I think that they were produed by Rochford mouldings. As far as I am able to tell these mouldings are made from solid mahogany any I am thinking of trimming down the raised ornamentation and taking a very thin cut off from the side to remove the original coloured varnished finish and then planning both faces smooth of my table planner.

These moulding do not join especially well on an underpinner and usual need a bit of filling at the corners, but I am guessing that they might sell better as narrow mahogany frames without the ornamentation. These mouldings sell reasonably well in there un-altered state for framing Indian paintings, prints and bateks brought back from customers holidays in India, but I'm not expecting much of that any time soon. As a result, it seems to be that a bit of re-purposing might be a better idea. Any thoughts please!
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: is it worth trying to re-purpose some narrow mahogany frames?

Post by IFGL »

Only you know that, if you have the spare time to do it and it won't impact on your other income streams then go for it.

It wouldn't be cost effective for us based on what I have just said.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: is it worth trying to re-purpose some narrow mahogany frames?

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, I was wondering about that, but I've got hundreds of feet of the stuff and it seems a real shame to let it go to waste. If I only skim it square of the table saw which would be extremely quick and hand finish over the sawn finish, it still might look really nice. However I'd need to try it to see.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer