Dismantling a Morso F

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Hammy
Organisation: Home
Interests: Currently hobby framer but previously (20 years ago) six years as a manager with a medium/high volume print and original watercolour framing and retailing company with two outlets. Working currently in outdoor activity industry. Recently purchased small framing workshop tools and equipment and looking forward to using productively!

Dismantling a Morso F

Post by Hammy »

I'm in the process of moving my workshop to a more suitable space in my house, a storage area/new workshop on the second floor of a barn.

I have successfully moved the underpinner and workbench by some canny means involving pulleys and ropes but am reaching an impasse with the Morso.

The problem is both the weight and the aperture it has to pass through. I could solve these problems by dismantling the Morso and rebuilding it in its new location.

I have seen the manual for the Morso on the Lion website and the exploded diagrams so it looks like it will come to pieces.

Before I set forth on this drastic action I was wondering if anybody had any experience of this and any advice on the perils and pitfalls which I may encounter on my quest.

Your comments appreciated!!
Graham Derbyshire
Stainton
Penrith
Cumbria

If in doubt, stay out.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Dismantling a Morso F

Post by Not your average framer »

Taking the morso apart is one thing, but getting it all back together might be a lot less easy to acomplish. How much man power have you got available to help you move the pieces of the Morso? Some of the cast iron parts are likely to be extremely heavy and accurately lifting some of the heavy parts into place might require more strength than you are thinking. I am wondering if this is going to be dangerous as well. I think that it may be a good idea to talk to Peter stanlick at framers equipment, or some other framing equipment enigineer, who will be able to tell what is likely to be involved.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would go no further than removing the right-hand support. Lock the pedal down to conceal the blades.
It's a hefty lump sure enough but two fit lads should have no trouble shifting it. I would dismantle it further.
It's like taking the back off a watch - never works properly afterwards. :lol:

I remember when my machine was delivered in 1984. The chap from Ashworth's and me moved it up a flight of
stairs on a sack-barrow. Still in the wooden crate. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Hammy
Organisation: Home
Interests: Currently hobby framer but previously (20 years ago) six years as a manager with a medium/high volume print and original watercolour framing and retailing company with two outlets. Working currently in outdoor activity industry. Recently purchased small framing workshop tools and equipment and looking forward to using productively!

Post by Hammy »

Thank you both for your helpful responses. Thankfully the task has been successfully completed!

I found this YouTube video from Matthew Moustache which was very useful

I removed both extension arms, and separated the Morso into two pieces by undoing 4 bolts and one nut on the foot mechanism. This gave a relatively light bottom section and an incredibly heavy cast iron top section. I hoisted the top section out with rope and a 3:1 pulley system, and raised it up to the required first floor height. It then needed a second pulley system to manoeuvre it sideways through a fairly tight gap, paying out on one system while taking in on the other (crosshauling). It took me two attempts to get the positioning just right. The bottom section was much easier to haul up. I then repositioned the pulleys and raised the top section again, positioned the bottom section underneath and lowered the top section into position. It was a bit fiddly to get the bolts all lined up, but all went well and the Morso is now completely reassembled and working just as it should. Of course I made sure I was never directly beneath it while hoisting.

I must say I'm quite pleased with myself as this morning I thought I'd set myself an impossible task! I managed it all by myself!! I'm a member of the local cave rescue team and fairly well versed in hauling a loaded stretcher with attendant through tight gaps and this felt a remarkably similar exercise. Of course I had the necessary hauling equipment and knowledge to hand.

It must be said that the Morso is unbelievably heavy, and moving it around as described should not be undertaken lightly :wink:

Thanks again for your input.

Graham
Graham Derbyshire
Stainton
Penrith
Cumbria

If in doubt, stay out.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Hammy,

What really concerns me is that you have been talking about winching the Morso up to the 2nd floor using a rope and pulleys and I really have bad feelings about what may happen if the rope and pulley give way. The potential for you to get seriously hurt, or injured is very difficult to adequately determine, but also If the Morso was to come crashing down with any significant impact, the damage to the Morso might render the Morso completely beyond any reasonable hope of repair. I don't think that you should be attempting to be doing this alone, as it could be to dangerous to be doing this by yourself.

Whan happens, if you encounter difficulties with nobody on hand to help you, or to get help if you get injured. It is possible for two reasonably strong people to move a Morso on the the same level, but moving it up to another floor might easily need four strong people to do this. Most of use have never needed to do anything like this, so haw do we know how many people will be needed to do this. You will need people both above and below the Morso to get it up the stairs and if the morso comes crashing down on top of anyone, the potential risk to life can not be ruled out.

I am really serious about this and personally think that this is potentially very dangerous to life and limb. Please take care to mitigate all potential risks.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer