I have a few length of left over Oak mouldings which are quite white in colour.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I have a few length of left over Oak mouldings which are quite white in colour.

Post by Not your average framer »

I am currently thinking about what to do with these lengths of really a little toowhite and pale oak, I suppose that I could create a plate stained "bleached Oak" style effect. Bleached Oak is a popular treatment whch gets applied to other Oak furniture by modern day antique interior furniture dealers. It tends to be quite a trendy thing these days, but I'm not so sure that it might be so trendy for picture frames. The actual woodgrain is quite obviously Oak, but it's just not the normal Oak colouring.

I can't really envisage much of a market for white Oak, after all who is likely to buy that! It would not be partifically to do an old style "found in an old barn" sort of weathered and manky looking finish, or just staining it with some golden pine stain, which contains a fair bit of grey as standard and might produce an interesting look. I don't really feel that just scraping these lengths is a good thing to be doing in these current times, but I'm just not sure what will sell best.

Any thoughts guys?
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: I have a few length of left over Oak mouldings which are quite white in colour.

Post by Justintime »

I think that you could easily get your money back, if not make a profit by chopping into 8" lengths, wrapping small bundles with a nice raffia cord and selling as oak kindling to the second home brigade.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: I have a few length of left over Oak mouldings which are quite white in colour.

I probably going to do some kind of handfinished effect. I just not sure what sort of effect just now.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

That's nice......................
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer

I hope so!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer