Decorative Mount Tuition

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Decorative Mount Tuition

Post by Not your average framer »

Steve N wrote: Sat 04 Jun, 2022 11:09 am I just use the back of a teaspoon, to do that, still have the same one 30+ years on, don't use it for anything else
Even better!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Adyc
Organisation: Private user
Interests: Photography

Post by Adyc »

Wow, I really appreciate all of these responses. David your Keencut videos are already something of a bible and are highly recommended. I have a couple of interesting projects on the go at the moment and am really looking forward to trying out some of the suggestions.
Thanks all again, really valuable to me, I will post shots of the results.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Using the front mount as a way of forming a straight and clean edge for the hand coloured bevel and associated reveal on the underlying mount is a favorite method for me. It is much less fiddly to do and does not take long to do. O.K., it's a bit like cheating, but isn't quick and easy, what most of us like things to be? I certainly is that way for me and that how I have been dong it for years and that's even before my stroke came along. Surely getting a nice clean edges to a coloured area, just using you mountcutter to define that edge works for me!

I really like creating most of my mount decoration, using the mountcutter. V grooves really work for me and in particular if multiple equally spaced V groves will work well with large mount borders. I have a conveniently place near by needle work shop where I can buy a wide range of nicely coloured ribbons, in particular blue ones are aloungst the most colour fast and these can be very easy for wrapping bevelled mount strips and this means no painting or waiting for paint to dry. Makes a lot of sense to me!

My customers are much more likely to go for mount decoration which is reasonably affordable, so I make it simple, quick and easy. Also don't forget to make some sample mount chevrons for customers to try. If you want to sell decorative mounts, then having some visual samle chevrons can help you to get your message across. If you have space to display stuff like this in your shop window,this can help a lot. Clear and easy to read notices in your shop window also help to spell out what you want potential customers to know. Leaving customers to guess things too much, does not usually help to create sales.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer