Quick and easy sub frames.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Quick and easy sub frames.

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't buy purpose made sub frame mouldings. I just use whatever is hanging around and looks strong enough. Left over pieces of pine are often what I use. I don't cut into the pieces of pine the usual groove to take the screws to fix the sub frame in place, but use my pocket hole jig instead. You can buy really cheap 25mm dry wall screws and these often work quite well if the sub frame and frame dimension will allow this.

Who else has ways of avoiding un-necessary costs for sub frames?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: Quick and easy sub frames.

Post by prospero »

Depends how strong they have to be Mark. :muscle: :P

I :heart: my biscuit cutter. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I get too many customers, who want things framed in much too skinny, narrow black frames and this often means fitting a sub frame inside the back of the frame and then they moan about paying the extra for needing to have the sub frame. I also need a deeper frame to accomodate to sub frame. It seems that I can't win!

:head: :head: :head:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

This is often the case. People want to save money by introducing complications and therefore making it more expensive. :lol:

I wonder if most of these skinny frame fans really want a skinny frame or if they think it will make the job cheaper. :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

Don't ask me, I've never had the chance to find out!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer