Chandelier chain.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Chandelier chain.

Post by Not your average framer »

I have been wanting to use chandelier chain for making my strut backs for my spandrel frames, but It seems that only Lion seems to sell chandelier chain and you need to buy it in volumes of 10 metres at a time, when does not sound very convenient for just making the odd strut back, or two. I don't particularly want to use cord, or ribbon for the same purpose. Spending £33 + delivery and VAT for a lot more that I with every use does not seem to be a great idea. Is there anything else which I may have overlooked?
Thanks.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Chandelier chain.

Post by Rainbow »

There are several shops on ebay selling chandelier chain, both brass and chrome. Anything between 1m @ £7 to 40m @ £20. If you do a search for "picture hanging frame", the chandelier chain is mixed in with normal chain but it doesn't take long to find. It's mostly called mirror chain on ebay but searching for "chandelier chain" or "mirror chain" didn't bring up the results that come up for "picture hanging chain". Here's just one example but there are plenty more:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363750078284 ... SwnjRijM1-

How heavy are your frames going to be to necessitate chandelier chain, won't ordinary chain do?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Chandelier chain.

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Rainbow,

I was thinking that chandelier chain would be easier to feed a screw through and to screw in to the plywood. I want to use 12mm plywood as i should be able to use the 13mm brass plated screws which is thick enough to accomodate the screws and will look o.k. with the chandelier chain. I can bevel cut the edges of the plywood' so that I don't need excesive rebate depth to acommodate the 12mm thick back. I also think that the chandelier chain adds a touch of class. From looking at the prices for chandelier chain and normal chain from Lion, there's not much difference in price between the two types of chain, but I think that the chandelier chain would be better suited to screwing directly on to the 12mm plywood.
Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer