Is shrink wrapping frames worthwhile?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Is shrink wrapping frames worthwhile?

Post by daveym »

I've got a few new frames I'm in the process of making. Originally I used to sell art in frames but have moved onto signage in frames. I just wondered how feasible using heated shrink wrapping is to present the final frame when sending out to customers. Is it worthwhile or just an extra time and cost that isn't really required? I always prefer receiving something wrapped but that's my preference.

I'm trying to reduce costs at a time they are ever increasing, and also there seems to be a demand for using less packaging and more eco packaging. Obviously shrink-wrap being plastic maybe it's something that isn't overly required now.

I understand many of you are framers, probably more than artists so using something like shrink wrap isn't a necessity. When I receive my frames from the supplier they are all wrapped in some form and I've had some framing companies use a type of very tight clingfilm for some frames sent to me. After looking at the cling type of wrapping machines they seem very large and industrial. I think heat shrinkwrapping requires less equipment but not sure how difficult it is.

Any thoughts on if shrink wrapping is viable?
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: Is shrink wrapping frames worthwhile?

Post by vintage frames »

If you are sending out to individual customers, then I wouldn't bother with shrink wrapping. Maybe make a quick package with some coloured tissue.
If you were selling in quantities to a shop then shrink-wrapping would make more sense as a shop prefers to display several of the same items together on a shelf. Shrink wrapping would improve the overall display appearance.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Is shrink wrapping frames worthwhile?

Post by Not your average framer »

Shrink wrapping involves purchasing equipment and materials up front and that means some degree of initial investment. Even after you have done that, whatever equipment and materials you have bought will have size limitations in terms of the size of items which you are able to srink wrap. I used to have a shrink wrapping machine, but I sold it.

I thought that in time I might buy another, but I never did. I seem to get along well enough without one, perhaps I never needed one in the first place! Who says that you need one? Maybe it's not that important after all. I never found that shrink wrapping my frames every added even one peeny to the sales value of my frames. Shrink wrapping machines are usually not cheap to buy, maybe you have more important uses for the money instead.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer