What are the usual standard sizes for panoramic frames and panoramic photos.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

What are the usual standard sizes for panoramic frames and panoramic photos.

Post by Not your average framer »

I was just wondering if there are such things as standard sizes for panoramic frames. It's not something that I have ever thought about before, I was just wondering if there might be a worthwhile market for these just waiting to be exploited. If this is a market which is not being adequately catered for by the existing mass market outlets, maybe this could be a worthwhile target for some of us to look at, if there is a worthwhile profit to be made! If it is an opportunity to use up left over pieces of glass and backing board together with some low price factory finished mouldings and it is not an already well catered for market there might be scope for getting some worthwhile prices and therefore useful profits.

I have noticed that some of the Simons Econ range of factory finished mouldings are available at really cheap prices, so maybe this market might have something going for it. Any thoughts?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Re: What are the usual standard sizes for panoramic frames and panoramic photos.

Post by daveym »

I can't talk from a framers perspective, but from a crafter and artist's perspective, I believe there will be more demand for panoramic frames over time although its still quite niche.

I had been considering getting a sublimation printer. These have opened up a whole new world in terms of being able to print onto items one could never imagine but there are still limitations. Ive been a garment printer in the past, and sublimation printers also print onto t-shirts but in a far easier process than I ever used. However, the market is overly saturated, like it is with mugs etc which are also suitable for sublimation printers.

In the last few years new metals and tins have become available that have a special coating and allow people to be able to print tin/metal signage. However, these are normally only sold in 1 particular size and the market is slowly becoming a little too busy for simple signage. Like most things, the more people that enter the market, the more prices come down sometimes making it unviable. However, if you have the right machinary , you could cut specific metal sheets into thinner panoramic signs. However, it still involves a certain outlay. But being a reasonably good printer, I thought, if a sign is in a panoramic frame, there is no real need to use tin. You could quite easily use good quality card and give the sign a vintage finish with rust etc. Once inside the frame, nobody would know the difference and, depending on the frame used, I believe it would look far more appealing than just a bog standard sign stuck to a wall.

I came across only 1 seller on a certain platform selling metal signs in frames, but the frames are deep enough thst allow them to also be free standing. I can't recall if they were 40 or 60cm, but they were longer and narrower than any other standard smmetal signs I'd seen.

The company selling these signs also state they make the frames themselves. I've searched high and low for anything similar and can find no other framing suppliers that offer such frames that are both panoramic and freestanding.

Depending on the price, its definitely a viable idea. However, the first thing people will do, including myself, is search for competition online and if its possible to compete, based on what a framer is charging. It does make it that much harder if an actual framing company is also reselling a finished frame with sign. These particular panoramic frames being sold were just short of £30 Inc the metal sign which I believe might be out of reach for many framers.

Ofcourse you may not be thinking just signage in these frames as panoramic frames open the doors to various possibilities.