Bespoke mounts

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Bespoke mounts

Post by daveym »

I have deep boxed frames intended for a variety of uses, but a new idea I thought of was inserting a mirror aswell. The plan was to have the mirror cut to the size of the backboard and insert it directly into the frame, but the mirror weighs 1kg and isn't suitable for the type of frame I'm using.

I've had another idea of using small mirrors that are already cut to a square size that can be purchased from a few high Street suppliers say 10cm x 10cm and glue these directly to the backboard with a mount around the outside of it. The mount would require a square aperture and rather than a bevelled cut would need a straight cut around the mirror so that it slots into place. The types of mirrors range in depth from 3mm - 4mm. I may paint or print directly onto the mount aswell.

I'm looking for a nice bright yellow/orange mount and also grey to start with.

Does anyone supply alternative colours to standard white and black mounts and is it possible to acquire mounts of say 3-4mm thickness?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Bespoke mounts

Post by Not your average framer »

Have you thought about buying a small pack of mirror tiles they are probably about 15cm x 15cm ans they are probably reasonable inexpensive. If you are thinking about buying readily available mounts as offered for sale on the internet, then I would think seriously about painting normal white mounts with a 4 inch paint roller and match pots of chalky emusion paint. That way your supplier won't be charging you extra for non-standard mount colours and you will have the possibility to use other colours according to what appeals most to your customers.

However regarding 3 to 4mm thick mounts is going to be a significantly more expensiive option, which can sometimes mean difficulties in obtaining the higher prices to cover the extra cost, or having to compromise on your profit margins. I can see how this might be for you a rather interesting marketing option for you if you also offered some of your printed signs in matching frames to enable you customers to created a wall display contaning both options. Maybe an interesting idea for you!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer