Wizard spares

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Thewhitewallgallery
Organisation: The White Wall Framers
Interests: Sports and Framing

Wizard spares

Post by Thewhitewallgallery »

Hi everyone,

our very trusty Wizard 8000 has just had its first malfunction in 6 years of steady use.

Can anyone please recommend if the part that's broken can be replaced/repaired?

Thanks in advance for any info

Matt
Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Wizard spares

Post by Not your average framer »

I can not understand why wizard does have a UK based spares and support organisation of some sort. Surely this is not going to help them to persuade customers to buy new machines. Wizard CMC's have a good reputation in the UK for the mahines which they make, so why make it so difficult for after sales servicing and support. It make so little sense to me!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Matt,

When I had a Wizard 8500 a few years ago the power supply unit in the main control box failed. Back then support was provided by Framers Corner and they sorted out the problem very quickly.

Wizard Europe now provide support to UK machines from Germany. With the best will in the world and (to my knowledge) without anybody based in UK, compounded by changes to import rules, Wizard Europe will struggle to match the support previously provided by Framers Corner.

To answer your question, yes, it can be repaired and/or replaced but you will probably have to do that through Wizard Europe.

I used to be a big fan of Wizard CMCs and would probably still have one if support was still delivered by Framers Corner.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Thewhitewallgallery

Not your average framer wrote: Sat 09 Jul, 2022 12:02 pm I can not understand why wizard does have a UK based spares and support organisation of some sort. Surely this is not going to help them to persuade customers to buy new machines. Wizard CMC's have a good reputation in the UK for the mahines which they make, so why make it so difficult for after sales servicing and support. It make so little sense to me!

Its so frustrating and makes no sense.to be fair other than a couple of rubber clamps I've never needed to buy any spares as I got a large quantity of blades when I bought the machine 2nd hand 6 years ago from Sam Cooke.

been a great investment but could be a costly repair.
Thewhitewallgallery

YPF wrote: Sat 09 Jul, 2022 4:21 pm Matt,

When I had a Wizard 8500 a few years ago the power supply unit in the main control box failed. Back then support was provided by Framers Corner and they sorted out the problem very quickly.

Wizard Europe now provide support to UK machines from Germany. With the best will in the world and (to my knowledge) without anybody based in UK, compounded by changes to import rules, Wizard Europe will struggle to match the support previously provided by Framers Corner.

To answer your question, yes, it can be repaired and/or replaced but you will probably have to do that through Wizard Europe.

I used to be a big fan of Wizard CMCs and would probably still have one if support was still delivered by Framers Corner.
I completely agree and think they should look to have at least one point of call in the UK to keep confidence in people wanting to invest.
As stated above this machine has been a great investment and could still be for many more years but if I can't get it resolved quickly enough I would consider changing to another CMC.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

if it's that box of tricks, have you thought about a local electronics repair company, one that used to do TV and radio perpairs, maybe they could run some checks on it and replace any blown parts
Just a thought :sweating: :oops:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I used to be an electronics design engineer and there will be some chips inside the control box which are programed with Wizards own proprietory software. If anything has happened to those you won't be able to replace them without getting those chips from Wizard. But until somebody has actually done some testing you don't know whether something has failed in the control box, or part of the machine it's self. Suppose one of the actuators has failed on the machine, the control box could still be sending the correct actuating power to the actuator, but it makes no difference because the actuator has failed. So, when you get a new control box the fault is still there and you have wasted your money.

I don't think that scraping the machine by breaking it up for spares makes any sense. At the moment, there is still the potential to get it repaired and whatever replacement part you need should come with some sort of guarrentee. At least after repair you will have something which has the value of a working machine, so how is scrapping the machine such a good idea. That's almost certainly the worst of all outcomes. If you can afford it, getting it fixedis the right outcome!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I am having a hard time believing that the cost of repair is likel to exceed the value of the machine. Also does not a working machine represent some worth while potential to earn money turning your waste in to saleable mounts which you can sell somehow to recover some of your money after the machine has been put back in action?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Thewhitewallgallery

Not your average framer wrote: Tue 12 Jul, 2022 12:46 pm I used to be an electronics design engineer and there will be some chips inside the control box which are programed with Wizards own proprietory software. If anything has happened to those you won't be able to replace them without getting those chips from Wizard. But until somebody has actually done some testing you don't know whether something has failed in the control box, or part of the machine it's self. Suppose one of the actuators has failed on the machine, the control box could still be sending the correct actuating power to the actuator, but it makes no difference because the actuator has failed. So, when you get a new control box the fault is still there and you have wasted your money.

I don't think that scraping the machine by breaking it up for spares makes any sense. At the moment, there is still the potential to get it repaired and whatever replacement part you need should come with some sort of guarrentee. At least after repair you will have something which has the value of a working machine, so how is scrapping the machine such a good idea. That's almost certainly the worst of all outcomes. If you can afford it, getting it fixedis the right outcome!

after I sign up to the support plan for 750 euros, the part will then cost me an additional 4000 euros.
that's the info I got today from the lovely guys over at wizard. I can't purchase without the support plan.
she also mentioned they may have a reconditioned ECU for 2500 euros with only 12 months warranty.

Im just having a bad week but its certainly opened my eyes from having another Wizard machine.
Thewhitewallgallery

Steve N wrote: Tue 12 Jul, 2022 12:09 pm if it's that box of tricks, have you thought about a local electronics repair company, one that used to do TV and radio perpairs, maybe they could run some checks on it and replace any blown parts
Just a thought :sweating: :oops:

surely its worth a go. I will be contacting as many as I can to see if they can help. I will dig out the old soldering iron myself if needs be :lol:
Not your average framer

Would it pay you to get it repaired and sell it to recover your money? I seems so hard to see you lose out like this.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Thewhitewallgallery

ive seen a 2nd hand wizard in working condition for £4K

id be better buying that than the part for the machine from wizard and would have more spares and repairs if needed.

doesn't seem right but its true
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Well that's one way to get around it
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

4K sounds about right. My Gunnar has the "old" style magic box. I was warned that if it goes, then a new updated one would cost 4K. The recon one sounds like a fair deal. Reconditioned usually means that it's had more checks than when it leaves the factory brand new imo...
You could buy the second hand machine and be in the same boat in 6 months time??
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Thewhitewallgallery

For any wizard users who ever have a burnt out ECU or driver, I have found a local technician who has managed to fix my damaged electrical unit and for a bargain compared to the costs of buying a new ECU.

Please consider this before you purchase new parts from Wizard directly.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

well done
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Not your average framer

Just out of interest, how much longer warranty do you get with a new control box. It might be something to take into account, when deciding what makes the most sense to do.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Thewhitewallgallery wrote: Sat 23 Jul, 2022 7:27 am For any wizard users who ever have a burnt out ECU or driver, I have found a local technician who has managed to fix my damaged electrical unit and for a bargain compared to the costs of buying a new ECU.

Please consider this before you purchase new parts from Wizard directly.
Hi Matt
That's good to know, could you pass his details on to me please, as my friend has a Valiani with a similar problem with the Rubiens board, looks like Valiani are fading out support for machines with machines with this board

Cheers

Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)